Samsung's Latest Galaxy S5 Ads Poke the iPhone Directly and Lack Any Subltey

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;SUxYqO1yyxE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUxYqO1yyxE[/video]​

It appears that Samsung's marketing team has become lazier. Their newest "Next Big Thing" Galaxy S5 commercial pokes directly at the iPhone in a way that lacks creativity. They do show off some of the great features which outshine the iPhone, but without any of the subtle humor that marked the previous campaign. It's a mediocre ad but it still gets the basic message across.

What do you think?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
To be honest, I preferred that to other ads. Just simply stating it does something better than the iPhone, rather than poking fun at them per say.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think you're being a bit judgmental. What... this ad isn't "cool" enough?
"Pokes directly at the iPhone" ... It's ONE comment about the camera. I see nothing wrong with this ad.
I love when the dude washes his screen up by running it under the sink, or the guy that drops it in the sink, and just keeps on talking...

I like it.

Valvoline

Reaction score
Yeah, I like this ad a lot. Simple, to the point, drives home a fact about camera. I never felt that poking fun at a competitors product was a good marketing strategy. Show off your own strong points.
I do like some good old chuckle humor, but rather self deprecating than mockery. Good ad altogether

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm with Sydman. Those "poke at iPhone" commercials were entertaining, but them trying to keep it up got a bit old to me. I like this commercial far better as it shows what the phone is capable of, it's a more "honest" commercial if that makes any sense.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem with subtly poking fun of the iphone is that most Apple users aren't sophisticated, discerning, techies. They only think they are. I think you have to hit them over the head sometimes to get them to see the obvious.