Samsung Unveils the 9.7-inch and 8-inch Galaxy Tab S2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Galaxy-Tab-S2-97-inch_black.jpg

Samsung's latest Android tablet was just revealed, and it seems to be aimed squarely at the Apple iPad and iPad mini. There are two variants of the new Galaxy Tab S2. One includes a 9.7-inch display and the other has an 8-inch screen.

Here's the full spec list:
  • 9.7-inch or 8-inch Super AMOLED Display
  • Octa-Core chipset (1.9GHz + 1.3GHz)
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 32 or 64GB of storage
  • 8 megapixel rear camera t
  • 2.1 megapixel front camera
  • Full WiFi a/c MIMO, Bluetooth 4.1 LE
  • GPS w/ GLONASS
  • 4G LTE
  • Fingerprint scanner
  • Android 5.0 Lollipop
  • 5,870mAh battery for the 9.7-inch version
  • 4,000mAh battery for the 8-inch variant
  • Up to 128GB extra storage with included microSD slot
  • 5.6mm thin
Pricing and availability have yet to be revealed, but we will keep you updated.

Source: Samsung

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Kind of a small gap in sizes if you ask me. I still don't get cameras on the back of tablets. I think people look silly taking pictures with such a huge device and I've never actually done it except to see what the quality really looked like. My N7 doesn't have a rear-facing camera and I don't miss it, but it does have a front facing camera for video calls.

Even if I'm using my tablet when a photo op comes up, I'm going to set it down and grab my phone, especially since my phone has better camera specs.

Still, I've told people for at least a couple years now, you can't go wrong with a Samsung tablet if Vanilla Android isn't a must for you.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kind of a small gap in sizes if you ask me. I still don't get cameras on the back of tablets. I think people look silly taking pictures with such a huge device and I've never actually done it except to see what the quality really looked like. My N7 doesn't have a rear-facing camera and I don't miss it, but it does have a front facing camera for video calls.

Even if I'm using my tablet when a photo op comes up, I'm going to set it down and grab my phone, especially since my phone has better camera specs.

Still, I've told people for at least a couple years now, you can't go wrong with a Samsung tablet if Vanilla Android isn't a must for you.
A 10x17 picture frame taking photos. Nothing sucks much more than they're sitting in front of you and using it while holding it over their head and have no clue what they shot so they do it a million more times.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
No S-pen and going from 8.4" to 8" while changing aspect to 4:3 is a fail (although it probably is better for reading). Kept RAM at 3 gigs.

I won't be getting this. Either the first gen 8.4" (although one article said that processor was a bit of a dog), but really eyeing the Zenpad S - 4gigs of ram and a smart stylus of their own.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
4:3 is not for me. It isn't a productive work ratio and it isn't a productive play ratio. As Kodiak799 mentioned I am sure it is just fine for reading, but for movie viewing not so much.

The 4:3 ratio would probably be better suited for these smaller screens, but if Samsung adopts it on their larger tablets I will ride out my current 12.2 Pro until the wheels fall off.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
For me (Nexus 9) I'll never got back to a non 4:3. IMO it's been better for everything - gaming, reading and movies have been just fine. You can click to full screen for vids and it's great.