Samsung Unveils New Smartphone Naming Convention & Some New Phones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
new-galaxy-phones.jpg

Samsung has just introduced a new naming convention for their phones that is designed to "clarify" things a bit going forward. It seems a bit complicated, but actually makes some logical sense. They also showed off some new future phones to go along with the naming scheme, which we will share in just a bit. First, here is the breakdown for the class and functionality category:
  • S” (Super Smart) – Devices at the very pinnacle of Samsung’s mobile portfolio. This class will only be used on flagship devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S, the award-winning smartphone that has already sold 10 million units throughout the world.
  • “R” (Royal / Refined) – Premium category models, a combination of power, performance and productivity for the individual who wants to be defined by the technology they carry.
  • “W” (Wonder) – High quality, strategic models, perfect for those seeking a balance between style and performance.
  • “M” (Magical) –High-performance models at an economic price-point.
  • “Y” (Young) – These are entry models or strategic models for emerging markets or a younger audience more sensitive to price
Then, we have some key selling point features to further differentiate between multiple models:
  • “Pro” – This indicates that the device includes a QWERTY keyboard for speedier email typing and increased productivity for professionals.
  • “Plus” – This indicates that the device is an upgrade from an existing model.
  • “LTE” – This indicates that the device is designed to utilize LTE (Long-Term Evolution) connectivity standards, a 4G standard to provide increased mobile network capacity and speed.
To match their new "chart-o-phones", they have some phones coming, that all will be running Gingerbread:
  • Galaxy W = 3.7-inch display, fast 1.4GHz processor, HSDPA 14.4Mbps connectivity, and more
  • Galaxy M Pro = full QWERTY keyboard, trackpad, and a thin 9.97m body
  • Galaxy Y = 832MHz processor, will come in a number of colors
  • Galaxy Y Pro = Same as above, but with a QWERTY keyboard
There were no more details given on these devices, but here is the full press release if you want to glean any more info: Samsung New Phones and Naming Convention Full Press Release

Source: GalaxyForums.net via DroidMatters

King_Bean

Reaction score
So basically it goes from "best to worst" or "most advanced to least advanced" (and from most expensive to least expensive) in decending order. Got it.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Except that S, R, W, M, Y and really in no specific order on their own... so yeah, the list at the top of this page goes in that order... but if you listed it as M, R, S, W, and Y, you get middle low, middle high, high, middle, low...

King_Bean

Reaction score
Except that S, R, W, M, Y and really in no specific order on their own... so yeah, the list at the top of this page goes in that order... but if you listed it as M, R, S, W, and Y, you get middle low, middle high, high, middle, low...

Right. Samsung would've been wise to put it in alphabetical order to make it more intuitive for those that don't know that "W" stands for "Wonder", for example. And, furthermore, even knowing that it stands for "wonder" doesn't help much because what does that really mean? It means nothing to the average consumer. For me, the only thing I care about is the "S", so it works for me. But if I were trying to buy a phone for my nephew, for example, I'd be confused as to which letter would be best for him.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah! I missed the sarcasm in your first post... apologies and I agree.... maybe apple had a copyright on the rest of the letters in the alphabet and the minds at sammy couldn't come up with associated words that made sense to leave them in alphabetical order?

QiG

Reaction score
This is confusing... what were they thinking?

J

JohnDroid

I'm thoroughly confused by the new, less confusing naming convention.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I was hoping a magical device would higher than a wonder device. Oh well, I buy Moto so, Droid is all I need. :p

end of line...