Samsung Releases TecTiles 2

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
tectiles.png

If you are unfamiliar with Samsung TecTiles, allow us to introduce you to these cool programmable tiles. TecTiles are small, programmable tiles that can be programmed via your smartphone to perform a variety of simple tasks, from turning on your WiFi to making sure your phone’s alarm goes off. You can even stick them on the back of your business card, so that you can easily easily transfer your contact information onto a colleague's or friends Samsung NFC-enabled device.

So what can you expect from this new version? Much the same stuff that you could find with the original, with some additional tasks. You can now program tiles to change your phone’s settings such as brightening your screen or turning up/down the volume of your handset among others. This can be helpful if you have specific modes you want for your phone in various situations. You may want the ringer on vibrate while at work, you may want it to be on full volume at home. When in the car, you’ll want it paired with your Bluetooth earpiece. Instead of rifling through the various settings each time, just hover over a tile and you’re good to go.

Restaurants and Hotels can also take advantage of TecTiles by placing them at the hostess stand, or the front desk, and guests can just wave their phone over it to check-in, whether on Foursquare or Facebook. Following a business on Twitter was never easier either. TecTiles are available in packs of five for about $15 each, and are currently only available on Samsung.com. The tiles will roll out to other retailers starting next month.

Via: Samsung

azules9780

Reaction score
Can these only be used with Samsung devices? If so, why would you use them in place of NFC tags that can new used with any nfc enabled device? Furthermore, they don't seem to be adding any additional capability to what's already out there so why these? Price?

Asgard

Reaction score
So just regular NFC tags? I got a pack of 4 for that price, and I'm currently using 2 and thinking of ideas for the other 2.
On the other hand, I'm glad that they are pushing NFC tags more.