Samsung Promises to Bring Galaxy S4 Features to Galaxy S3 & Galaxy Note 2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sgs4-image-possibilities.jpg

Samsung has vowed to bring most of their "wow" new features from the Galaxy S IV over to their previous-gen flagship devices, the SGS3 and the GNote2. Here's a quote with some of the details,

PCMag spoke with Nick DiCarlo, Samsung's vice president of portfolio planning, at tonight's event, and he said that many of the software improvements in the Samsung Galaxy S4 could make their way into existing Samsung Galaxy S3 phones.
"Anything that we can do that's not dependent on hardware like infrared, we'll definitely bring to all the flagship devices," he said.

That may include the Galaxy S4's new camera features, which DiCarlo said several times were a highlight of the new phone. When asked why Samsung picked a 13-megapixel camera sensor rather than going for bigger pixels like HTC did, he said the new UI was more important.

"The key thing you've got to think about in this debate is, how easy is a camera to use and what cool things can you do with it?" he said. "Photo quality is great, and has been great; for the average person the day-to-day person you're not having a quality argument about photography. For your everyday use case, the ability to remove photobombers and that kind of stuff is really what's going to have people talking."

When asked about what he considers the "wow" features on the S4, DiCarlo called out the camera UI, the WatchNow TV remote and gesture control, but also how Samsung made the device's screen bigger while the phone is physically smaller than the Galaxy S3.

It makes sense if you think about it. The modularity of the Android OS makes it such that if the hardware is capable of handling the needs of the software, there is no reason they couldn't make the new SGS4 features available on the SGS3 and GNote2. Kudos to Samsung if they make this happen. Of course, it suggests a question... if you own an SGS3 or GNote2, and it will be able to do what the SGS4 can do, then why upgrade at all? What do you guys think?

Source: PCMag

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This may be enough reason for me to pick up a gs3 again

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sgs4-image-possibilities.jpg

Samsung has vowed to bring most of their "wow" new features from the Galaxy S IV over to their previous-gen flagship devices, the SGS3 and the GNote2. Here's a quote with some of the details,

It makes sense if you think about it. The modularity of the Android OS makes it such that if the hardware is capable of handling the needs of the software, there is no reason they couldn't make the new SGS4 features available on the SGS3 and GNote2. Kudos to Samsung if they make this happen. Of course, it suggests a question... if you own an SGS3 or GNote2, and it will be able to do what the SGS4 can do, then why upgrade at all? What do you guys think?

Source: PCMag

Its smart. One of the knocks on Samsung early was their lack of support and failure to update. If I know you will support my high end phone for at least a year and a half I am more likely to buy your product again when it comes upgrade time. It is one of the reasons apple customers are so loyal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Naa, get the Note 2 bro! Put Bean's rom/Nova on it and it's a bigger and way badder GNex! :icon_ lala:
Haha so that's the device you moved on to huh?

Note II is a little too big for me, though I may just trial it for a week just to see what it's like. Still happy with my Gnex for now:)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Haha so that's the device you moved on to huh?

Note II is a little too big for me, though I may just trial it for a week just to see what it's like. Still happy with my Gnex for now:)

Yep, it was like going from a 911 Carrera to the Turbo! After just a few days the phone doesn't seem very big any more at all. And it's very thin and light so the pocket is no trouble.

skennelly

Reaction score
Its smart. One of the knocks on Samsung early was their lack of support and failure to update. If I know you will support my high end phone for at least a year and a half I am more likely to buy your product again when it comes upgrade time. It is one of the reasons apple customers are so loyal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Now let's just hope that Verizon doesn't screw it up.