Samsung OEM S-View case vs random Hong Kong knock off

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Originally posted this at XDA, but thought it might get a lot of attention here too....Black knock off from Hong Kong for $7.99 free shipping and the Indigo Blue OFFICIAL Samsung case for $45 and $8.99 expedited shipping. I also want to point out the knock off version came with a free screen protector, the OEM didn't. Also, sorry it's a bit long, tried to be fairly in depth for any prospective buyers!! Wish I found something like this :p Here are the links...

Amazon.com: Black S-view Cover Folio Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with Sleeping and Wake up Function: Cell Phones & Accessories knock off

Amazon.com: Original OEM Samsung Galaxy Note 3 S View Cover - Indigo Blue: Cell Phones & Accessories Samsung Official

Initially I just wanted a flip case, and was ALMOST positive the knock off wouldn't work with S-View but didn't care cause I wanted the window, a flip case, and it was cheap. And hey....you never know? But because I was so sure it wouldn't work, I ordered the Blue one for a decent deal, $39.99 on Amazon. Could've had free shipping but expedited it cause I wanted a case asap. Well the delivery times were great for both. The estimate date for the knock off was early February, but I actually received it last Friday (2ish weeks after order)!! And the OEM version was for this Tuesday-Thursday, but I got it yesterday! Odd, but can't say I'm complaining!

Now for the moment you've all been waiting for, the ULTIMATE question, even the subject of the thread. The answer is......yes. The knock off does work with S-View! Feature wise I don't notice a single difference. The main differences are cosmetic. It's a slightly different looking texture than the OEM version but ultimately feels the same, though the "Galaxy Note 3" imprint at the bottom is oh so slightly different, maybe a tad bit smaller and a bit higher up.

Overall I'm amazed....yet always skeptical.

But I think there is one catch. Quality. The case (both knock off and OEM) can be quite a hassle to take off, and as I've been comparing both, I've been popping it on and off fairly frequently. From the last few days I can already see some wear on the knock off case, nothing major, just a slight tiny little bend in the actual inside of the stitching of the lining of the case (not the actual side of it, just the stitching) and the top corner seems a little off, while the OEM case is still out of the box perfect. It's HARDLY noticeable, you'd really, really have to be looking up close to see it, but...it is there.

Again I've only been using each one for a few days if that and will very possibly have more to add to this in a week or two, but I really am having trouble noticing a difference between $8 and $40. You could say the knock off case is SLIGTLY thicker, but differences are few.

For the case in general, I love holding it and I don't really think it's "sharp." Not any sharper than your average slimmer fit flip case at least, not sure what everyone was expecting. I'm also completely fine with the fact it isn't "real" leather. A) I'd probably confuse it with my wallet too often, B) it would definitely be bulkier which is exactly what I don't want, C) I'd hate to damage it almost as much as the phone itself and D) might not come in various colors, and I do really like this Indigo blue. It doesn't feel THAT different from leather, obviously it isn't, but come ooon, like the Note 3 case itself it's close enough that it's obvious it was trying to imitate leather. I am enjoying S-View as well, it even works with Widgetlocker (flip open the case, at widgetlocker lock screen, closing the case takes it to the small s-view screen) and I don't seem to notice a huge difference in battery. Personally I like the quick access half screen camera, great for quick shots. If you're trying to capture the essence of life or galaxies or whatever you might want the full screen, but for a quick and easy snap, it's super convenient. Wish the S-View was more customizable with what you can access, but it is what it is.

So I guess bottom line....if you're strapped for cash and want an S-View case....this one works. However if you want assured quality and that overall peace of mind, the original is great too.I'm sure there's more but if anyone has any questions I'll answer them best as I can! Hope this helps...

big al

Reaction score
according to a recent article on Droid Life, the kit kat 4.4 somehow breaks functionality of the 3rd party case. I think that is crap. I dont buy a truck and have to go back to the dealer for a camper shell or new rims. not sure how this is legal. just saying beware and do some more research

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Yeah I had read that as well. However I seriously doubt we'll be getting 4.4 anytime soon. I'd say closer to mid-end Q2 if we're lucky.

So I guess since it's so cheap anyways this will still apply for several months at least lol