Samsung May Reveal a Foldable Smartphone in January [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-foldable-smartphone-concept.jpg

According to the latest rumint, Samsung may be farther along in their foldable smartphone development than we might have guessed. Take this with a grain of salt, but insider sources claim Samsung could be ready to reveal a retail-ready foldable smartphone as early as January of next year (2016).

The phone is dubbed "Project Valley," (which is a rumor we have heard before), and there will supposedly be two versions of the device. One will have the Qualcomm Snapdragon 620, while the other might have the more powerful 820. Along with these internals, the phone is rumored to include 3GB of RAM, a microSD card slot, but will obviously come with a non-removable battery.

To be clear, it's not completely crazy to think it could happen that soon. Samsung Display has gone on record claiming that “the commercialization of foldable smartphones will be possible in 2016.” It would be a pretty big deal if Samsung was able to pull it off. A foldable smartphone could be the first truly different innovation in mobile tech to come along in a great while. What do you folks think?

Source: GforGames

jbal52

Reaction score
If the inside display when open spans the centerline, I'm in! In other words when open becomes a solid display all the way across. That would provide a large display that was extremely portable to fit in pockets.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's an awesome idea (especially since it appears to have a secondary display for the front when closed).

I just hope that future generations have a better execution of the "hinge". Or at least do something to correct the asymmetrical look (which I hate).

And if you're going to release a high-end device in 2016, at least give it 4GB of ram...especially if it is supposed to double as a tablet.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think it's a great idea and the next step to really pushing the boundaries of smartphones. The recent hardware push, to me, was Sony's 4k screen, but do we really need that high quality of a display on a smartphone? This could definitely be the next push, hardware-wise.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The recent hardware push, to me, was Sony's 4k screen, but do we really need that high quality of a display on a smartphone?

No, even 2k on a smartphone is pretty pointless. On a tablet though, it might make sense.

Might make for some interesting dimensions, but I figure you should have a phone that can unfold into @8.4" tablet (perfect size, IMO)...or, at least, the width of a tablet that size is in the ballpark of the vertical dimension of most phones.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd definitely like to get hands on something like this. Can't say that I'd jump on the FIRST generation in this case though. While I like to be an early adopter of things, it just seems like there's too much that could potentially go wrong. Sure, having a screen on the front, if fully touch-enabled, would cut down on wear and tear at the hinge, but I have to imagine it'd be hard to create a display that flexes enough to open and close a bunch of times.

I hope they do bring this sucker to the market, but I'm wondering what the premium price tag will read...

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I think it's an awesome concept and hope Sammy will deliver next year. IMO, smartphones are becoming a bit boring and this would be the adrenalin we have been waiting for...

Amagine

Reaction score
I have been waiting for a Flip phone like smart device to come out ever since the market started toying with the bendable displays. If the rumor is true then I am one step closer to the goal. How long until Moto dusts off the design cues of the RAZR V3?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
... it just seems like there's too much that could potentially go wrong. Sure, having a screen on the front, if fully touch-enabled, would cut down on wear and tear at the hinge, but I have to imagine it'd be hard to create a display that flexes enough to open and close a bunch of times.

You're right a lot could go wrong, but it would be mostly the hinge which shouldn't be rocket science to be durable. The flex screens have been tested/folded up to 10,000 times or more (or at least I've read in the past).

I'd be more concerned with looseness/play developing in the screen or at the hinge where it folds.

But it's such an awesome idea:
1) a decent-sized tablet you can fold-up and put in your pocket
2) "phones" with much longer batteries (if you use it that way, because it needs a tablet battery after all)
3) kill the phablet!....ok, this is wishful thinking

Of course, when they could load up this thing with bleeding edge specs and charge you double - tablet PLUS phone - they'll trickle out the tech and slowly suck your wallet dry.

DolphinX

Reaction score
Yes it will have a solid center. It will be made of glass to strengthen the display.

DjNico

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@djnico
Reminds me of the phone from the movie "Her"

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can't see this working. If anyone has ever tried to fold anything solid before, eventually it cracks along the Fold line. You might fold it successfully few hundred thousand times but it will crack unless it's two separate screens hinged together.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You might fold it successfully few hundred thousand times but it will crack

How many decades would you expect to own this phone for? Even 20 times a day - which seems like a lot - is only 7000 a year. And this tech has survived stress tests beyond that without ANY signs of wear and fatigue.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If the inside display when open spans the centerline, I'm in! In other words when open becomes a solid display all the way across. That would provide a large display that was extremely portable to fit in pockets.

Well that's the expectation. Anyone could make a dual screen foldable phone, where you have two displays that are merged to create one panoramic picture. This is all about the actual display being foldable, the actual display screen being bendable.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I can't see this working. If anyone has ever tried to fold anything solid before, eventually it cracks along the Fold line. You might fold it successfully few hundred thousand times but it will crack unless it's two separate screens hinged together.

I don't see this so much a fold, as instead a half-circle "bend". Look at the left edge where it's closed. You'll notice the entire package is rather thick and that bend on the left is rather large. The bend would maybe be the diameter of half the circumference of a magic marker, perhaps a sharpie. This would not create a stress fracture, since there would be no "crease".

Last edited: