Samsung is Testing Snapdragon 820 on the Galaxy S7 [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Leaked-Samsung-docs-show-Galaxy-S7-testing-with-Snapdragon-820-and-Android-M.jpg

It's possible that Samsung may once again turn to Qualcomm to make processors for their next-gen flagship smartphones. A new rumor just hit the web suggesting that the Galaxy S7 might end up with the Snapdragon 820 to power its innards. Supposedly, Samsung is testing the chipset on their Galaxy S7 prototypes already.

If true, this could mean that Qualcomm has worked out those overheating issues to Samsung's satisfaction. It might also imply that Samsung finds it too tough to use their manufacturing for all of their devices. Of course, just because Samsung could be testing the chipset in their phone, doesn't mean they will end up using it in a final retail product.

What do you folks think? Could Sammy give Qualcomm another chance, or will they think running with their own tech is too advantageous?

Source: PhoneArena

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Now that they have conquered their previous problem of LTE being incompatible with Exynos I only see one reason that they would even bother with Qualcomm anymore...mass production of Exynos for Sammy devices and mass production of the "A" series SoC for Apple must be putting a strain on them.

They are building a new SoC plant right now and once it is done I will be surprised if they still use Qualcomm.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I have no problem with them returning to QuallyWorld....they make great chips. (Aside from the 810) It was only a matter of time until they worked out the overheating issue, and wouldn't you know it'll be just in time for my next device.... the S7!

S5 tap'n

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not just fabricating the silicon, there is much more involved then that, especially in the software side, it's not a cheap process. Samsung would love to use qualcomm again, which leaves them more $$$ to concentrate on their manufacturing of chips and hardware for a plethora of devices, including Apple, which takes up a huge part of their manufacturing facilities. I should know, I used to be in the manufacturing industry and ran such operations, it is a fine line to balance, and it is very time consuming and costly, let qualcomm design their chips and Samsung will have no problem manufacturing them, just like for Apple, sometimes it's cheaper to buy from outside than deal with the whole process yourself.
The only reason Samsung did not use qualcomm this last round was because of the heat issues of their last chip.
These two companies have had a happy and healthy partnership for years, and if the 820 is up to par, the relationship will continue.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Exynos runs smoother than Qualcomm though. I would love to have another Exynos phone. Hopefully they release the U.S. versions with Exynos.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Exynos runs smoother than Qualcomm though. I would love to have another Exynos phone. Hopefully they release the U.S. versions with Exynos.
It's all about the bottom line, and the Qualcomm 805 runs like butter in my Nexus 6, it's the software that matters, TW is optimized for Samsungs Exynos.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It's all about the bottom line, and the Qualcomm 805 runs like butter on my Nexus 6, it's the software that matters.

That's great to hear. Even with the slimmed down TouchWiz Qualcomm can't touch Exynos. Would it matter had I never owned Exynos devices before? Probably not. I'm not saying that the experience is horrible, but to get the same experience as all of my previous Exynos phones I have to work with my developer options inside of the Settings app. Most people wouldn't know the difference since the majority of U.S. devices have been Qualcomm's territory for quite some time now.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's great to hear. Even with the slimmed down TouchWiz Qualcomm can't touch Exynos. Would it matter had I never owned Exynos devices before? Probably not. I'm not saying that the experience is horrible, but to get the same experience as all of my previous Exynos phones I have to work with my developer options inside of the Settings app. Most people wouldn't know the difference since the majority of U.S. devices have been Qualcomm's territory for quite some time now.
It's TW that's the problem, not Qualcomm, and since TW is a Samsung skin they make sure to optimize their silicone to run it more smoothly.
I am sure their developer tools for Exynos are optimized for TW.

shockracer

Reaction score
I think Sammy is up to something, maybe trying to drive more nails in Qualcomm's coffin. Smells fishy to me!

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think Sammy is up to something, maybe trying to drive more nails in Qualcomm's coffin. Smells fishy to me!
Nothing fishy here, if the 820 is legit it will be in the next Samsung line of devices in the US, Qualcomm will also use the .16nm fab process from TSMC, or the .14nm fab from Samsung. But the design and software will be all Qualcomm including the build in radios, which Qualcomm clearly is a few steps ahead of the competition.