Samsung Could be Positioning the Galaxy S7 to be the First Snapdragon 820 Equipped Device

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
qc820-600x305.png

The latest intel indicates that Samsung has been working directly with Qualcomm on the next generation flagship Snapdragon processor, the 820. Supposedly, Samsung wanted Qualcomm to use their 14 nm LPP process to achieve high performance and power efficiency with the chip. Because of this collaboration, the next Samsung flagship, the Galaxy S7 will most likely be the world's first smartphone to include the Snapdragon 820 from Qualcomm.

If this news is accurate, it pours cold water on our past theory that Samsung was out to sabotage Qualcomm with the Snapdragon 810 overheating fiasco. It would now appear that Samsung was forced into a position of exclusively using their own Exynos chips for the Galaxy S6 line, because of the overheating problem with the 810. Perhaps Samsung never wanted to abandon Qualcomm at all.

If this report is true, it suggests the bond between the two companies is as strong as ever. It probably makes more sense when you think deeper about it. Samsung probably had a rough time keeping up with chip production for their Galaxy S6 products because they had to use all of their own chips. It has always been their normal procedure to split Galaxy S production across global markets into two different chips: one set from Qualcomm, and the other from their own Exynos line. By partnering up with Qualcomm, Samsung can ensure a larger volume of production across their own products and the other products they fabricate chips for.

Samsung's Galaxy S7 is expected to hit store shelves as early as March of 2016. Here's our dedicated Galaxy S7 section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 Plus, S7 Edge & S7 Edge Plus | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: Weibo

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I guess I need to read up on mobile processors... I have no real understanding of what is what with them