Samsung Galaxy Tab - Verizon's First Mobile Tablet!

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab2.jpg

Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America yesterday announced the 7-inch, Android powered Galaxy Tab tablet will be coming to the Verizon network in coming weeks. Apart from Verizon, Samsung Galaxy Tab will also be launched on AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile networks.

Samsung Galaxy Tab marks the entry of Verizon in the keenly contested tablet market segment. The Galaxy Tab has been touted to be a “game changer” and an “iPad Killer” as it claims to redefine the mobile multimedia experience with full support for Adobe Flash 10.1. It has a stunning 7-Inch Touch Screen Display, 1 GHz Processor, Front and Rear-Facing Cameras, and will launch with Android 2.2. A Wi-Fi only version of Samsung Galaxy Tab is expected to be available later this year.

Key features and specifications:

• 7-inch touchscreen Enhanced TFT display with WSVGA resolution – Offers brighter colors and clearer pictures, delivers 1024 x 600 resolution whether watching a movie or reading a book
  • Samsung 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application Processor – Produces responsive UI performance, and HD-like playback ability for multimedia content
  • Android 2.2 platform – With support for Google Mobile Services including Gmail, YouTube™, Google Talk, Google Voice and access to Android Market™, which provides access to the more than 80,000 applications
  • Full HTML Web browsing capabilities
  • Full support for Adobe Flash 10.1 – Provides exceptional Web browsing, gaming and video experience
  • Six-axis motion sensor and accelerometer – Provides a smooth, fluid gaming and viewing experience when the device is tilted up or down or panning the phone to the left or right
  • Users’ e-mail, calendar and contacts will rotate from portrait to landscape and open as a split-screen to create a PC or laptop viewing experience
  • Most Android Market applications will open in full screen and non-scalable Android Market applications will be framed and centered on the Galaxy Tab screen at 800 x 400 resolution
  • Rear-facing 3MP camera and camcorder – Features AutoFocus captures DVD quality video
  • Video Chat – Wi-Fi® only
  • Front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera and camcorder – Enables video chat with other people who have video conferencing capabilities (applications available on Android Market)
  • Corporate Email – Supports Android 2.2 Exchange ActiveSync e-mail to synchronize corporate e-mail, contacts and calendars from office e-mail accounts
  • Virtual QWERTY Keyboard Featuring Swype Technology – Input text faster and in a more intuitive way with one continuous finger motion across the screen keyboard
  • Stereo Bluetooth® Technology – Support for the following profiles: serial port, advanced audio distribution, audio/visual remote control, object push for vCard, basic printing, generic audio/video distribution, audio/visual distribution, audio/visual control transport protocol
  • Full suite of messaging options – Text, picture, video and voice messaging; corporate and personal e-mail accounts supported
  • Music and video players with enhanced catalog browsing user interface
  • Wi-Fi Connectivity (802.11 b/g/n) and 3G Mobile Hotspot support
  • Built-in 2GB internal memory with 16GB pre-installed microSD™ expandable to 32GB • 4,000 mAh Battery – Provides ample power to watch movies, share content and surf the Web for hours
  • Ultra thin and weighing less than a pound – For users who don’t want to be weighed down by adding a mobile tablet to their pocket or purse

Is the tablet market large enough to fit a Galaxy? Verizon Wireless and Samsung definitely think so. Check out the full press release here: Samsung Galaxy Tab - Verizon

CletusVanDam

Reaction score
I'm so tempted to get one, but I've been burned by first-gen technology in the past. I think I'll wait for a tablet with Honeycomb on it and more time for tablet-devs to make/convert their apps.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Nice but.. meh. I am waiting for a nice Tegra 2 250 based tablet w/ wifi only.

markwebb

Reaction score
Nice to see a "choice"! Looks swell. Not sure if a tab/pad is even right for me or something I would really want.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I'm interested but it has to be WiFi only. Samsung said that's coming but I'd need to see the price since it wouldn't be subsidized by a carrier. I'm also debating 7" or 10" size.

This device would be purely a home thing for me.....keep it in the living room...watching TV and want to check email, browse the web, play some Angry Birds (LOL).....and just need WiFi for that.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
The screen at 7 inch - 1024 x 600 is perfect for a tablet in my mind. I'm wondering about the cost for the WiFi model though. I think it was reported that the 3G one would be $699 w/o a contract. Based on the iPad difference, the WiFi model might be between $500 and $600. I think I'd have to wait for the price to drop if that is the case.

I also wonder if the battery is a replaceable one. That's a lot of money for me to spend and throw away if the battery goes.

RemyL75

Reaction score
OK, it's looking good, but I still don't like the whole "tablet on contract" idea.

Then there is the 2GB of storage. I mean, I thought this one was coming with 8GB or something along those lines. Althought you can add a MicroSD card, so that's good.

I really like the idea of tablets, as I am a fan of Star Trek: TNG and all they used in that show were pads/tablets... for almost EVERYTHING. So this has been a long time coming for me. But on contract, adding to my already kinda high VZW bill is turning me off.
Guess I am gonna be waiting for Archos' 7" and 10" tablets next month.

BigZig

Reaction score
Although I think tablets are sweet I think next 6 months are going to see alot better ones then this I will wait for something worth spending $600 on

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, it's looking good, but I still don't like the whole "tablet on contract" idea.

Then there is the 2GB of storage. I mean, I thought this one was coming with 8GB or something along those lines. Althought you can add a MicroSD card, so that's good.

I really like the idea of tablets, as I am a fan of Star Trek: TNG and all they used in that show were pads/tablets... for almost EVERYTHING. So this has been a long time coming for me. But on contract, adding to my already kinda high VZW bill is turning me off.
Guess I am gonna be waiting for Archos' 7" and 10" tablets next month.

There is a 16 gb sd card preinstalled...

Sent from my Droid

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The screen at 7 inch - 1024 x 600 is perfect for a tablet in my mind. I'm wondering about the cost for the WiFi model though. I think it was reported that the 3G one would be $699 w/o a contract. Based on the iPad difference, the WiFi model might be between $500 and $600. I think I'd have to wait for the price to drop if that is the case.

I also wonder if the battery is a replaceable one. That's a lot of money for me to spend and throw away if the battery goes.
Yep, $699 announced yesterday:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/81193-samsung-galaxy-tab-available-pre-order.html

Gave me sticker shock and that's putting it mildly. But the consensus on the thread is that's the "early adopter" price. If so, I think $400-$500 for the WiFi model is a little more...reasonable. :) *fingers crossed*

-Matt

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I may get this once I have the money... I wonder if this can be my Droid1 replacement >_>

sranger

Reaction score
The big question is: Did they ban Google search from the Device? I think they did....