Samsung Galaxy S6 may include Exynos chipset with a Cat.10 LTE modem [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung_exynos_chip_feature.jpeg

It's no surprise that Samsung wants to pack the most cutting edge features they can possibly muster into their upcoming flagship, the Galaxy S6, but the latest rumor suggests some potentially wasteful tech. According to the newest intel, Sammy may be planning to include a Cat.10 LTE (450Mbps) modem into the Exynos processor on the Galaxy S6. The rumor indicates that Samsung is actually developing this modem on their own.

While this sounds pretty awesome on the outset, when you do some digging, it doesn't really make a great deal of sense. There are no carriers in the world which can take advantage of these speeds, because the best wireless available tops out at Cat.6. It's also possible this rumor is just ahead of the game, and Samsung is developing this modem for future devices.

Of course, if Samsung does include it now, at best this enhanced modem will simply be a cheesy marketing ploy, which is not beneath Samsung. Regardless of how Sammy chooses to deploy this tech, it's good to see them pushing the envelope on wireless data tech!

Source: GforGames

Heero121

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
not a huge sammy fanboy, but one of the few things i do respect from them is that they always push the game forward. They did it with the note series phones/phablets. They did it by introducing 3GB RAM into the note 3. Both times they were told its overkill, but it has come now to an industry standard, I hope the same goes for this. If they come out with tech that can apply pressure to developers and other manafacturers to utilize that very tech, then im all up for it. better living through technology son. naaaawmeeeeeen. *drops mic* #yoloswag #ihatepeoplethatsayyolo

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
If it is deployed on the Exynos platform then clearly it is for Korea. They are deploying cat.10 right now.

When it is released on the Qualcomm platform that will be the head scratcher. Qualcomm's modem is ready, but nowhere that chip is marketed to has even a decent cat.6 environment deployed.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm all for pushing the envelop, but it's not a simple task bumping up the network to be able to allow a device like this to live up to its full potential. Is it overkill? Nope. Faster is always better.

But...Is it too soon for this to be a selling point for anyone who actually understands where the technology really stands at this point? Yes. My prediction is that it's 2 years too early. The device will be cast aside for the s7 at least before the network can truly support it and allow users to get the full effect, maybe even the s8.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It's funny how America is falling behind.. But.. Our infrastructures have to be built out a lot more... Lots more area to cover...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It's proportionate though. American ISPs rake in far more money per contract than other countries. Our plan prices are often double and triple for less content.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah.. I've been told that. I know absolutely nothing about it firsthand..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I pay the equivalent of $30 a month overseas for unlimited talk/text with 15GB of data.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If it is deployed on the Exynos platform then clearly it is for Korea. They are deploying cat.10 right now.

When it is released on the Qualcomm platform that will be the head scratcher. Qualcomm's modem is ready, but nowhere that chip is marketed to has even a decent cat.6 environment deployed.

Exactly. Many people don't always realize what's going on with networks around the world. Samsung has been supporting the rollout of increasingly faster LTE in South Korea with specialized chips and devices for quite a while now, and most of those devices (or versions of those devices) never see a release outside of South Korea. It's happened with Galaxy S devices in the past, and it will probably happen again.

I seriously doubt there are any plans for this to see a release outside of South Korea in the near future.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It's funny how America is falling behind.. But.. Our infrastructures have to be built out a lot more... Lots more area to cover...

That's the important thing to remember. It's not that U.S. carriers are necessarily slacking, it's just that we have a heck of a lot more infrastructure to deal with, so it takes a lot longer. We can't implement the latest and the greatest as quickly. Given that, we can't always be on the cutting edge with our mobile networks. We're still updating our networks from 3G (and some areas 2G). It's all about the size. South Korea is roughly the size of the state of Indiana. It's much easier to quickly update entire mobile networks when you're dealing with an area that small.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes, but at what point do American carriers actually complete a full deployment of any spectrum before moving over to the next?

For example... Carriers are still deploying 4G (American 4g, not real 4G) and deploying LTE at the same time. Now when 5G comes up they will have a half baked 4G system, LTE system, and a half baked 5G system.

They did the same thing with G, Edge, and 3G.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I pay the equivalent of $30 a month overseas for unlimited talk/text with 15GB of data.
Wow!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah.. The problem with a crappy layout.. Is that when someone decides to play catch up.. Its going to have an enormous price tag attached to it.. Which will make all but the huge conglomerates, avoid it.. And of course when someone decides to take this opportunity.. They will charge accordingly... More than they do now..