Samsung Galaxy S6 Lets You Remove Most Apps Including Samsung's

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-experience.jpg

[Update: The intel in this story turned out to be wrong. We posted a new story which corrects the information. Here's the follow-up story: http://www.droidforums.net/threads/...w-uninstalls-of-stock-apps-after-all.280612/]

Even though there were several unpopular design decisions in the new Samsung Galaxy S6 (like a non-removable battery and no microSD slot), that doesn't mean that Samsung wasn't listening to their fans in some aspects of the device. Apparently they listened to outcry regarding TouchWiz and too much bloatware on the device.

It's becoming a widely known "feature" of the Galaxy S6 that TouchWiz is slimmed down a great deal and Samsung included less bloatware on the device. What's really great is that Samsung took it a step further and made it really easy to uninstall nearly any app on the device, including their own. This includes "built-in" apps like Samsung's S Voice, for folks who would rather just use Google Now.

Not only did Samsung bake this "ease of customization" functionality right into the device, they are even bragging about it on their own blog. The biggest shocker is that they used the words "cumbersome bloatware" to describe some of these pre-installed apps. Ultimately, Samsung clarifies in their blog that their goal was simply to offer an "Intuitive and Streamlined User Experience...".

It just goes to show that sometimes a company might take a step back in order to take two steps forward. What do you think of Sammy's desire to shred their image as a bloated device?

Here's our dedicated Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge discussion section: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: Samsung

Last edited:

Tonik

Reaction score
Is this Samsung or is it Google and Lollipop?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Sammy is certainly making the right moves to get back some of the marketshare they lost. Hopefully, the carriers will follow suit.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
This article is based upon a pre-production phone with pre-release software. I'm hopeful, yet doubtful, that this will make it into the final software build.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Will this trickle down to the carriers bloatware?

Possibly but my guess is not. Verizon will do whatever it needs to in negotiating with Samsung to keep their bloat locked down IMHO, though I have seen other so-called "that'll never happen" become reality.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sure fragmentation is alive and well but we can always hope. When Samsung devices come carrier bloat free I'll know for sure they are trying to become Apple.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This article is based upon a pre-production phone with pre-release software. I'm hopeful, yet doubtful, that this will make it into the final software build.
It turns out you were right Ollie. I'm about to do a follow-up article which refutes this one. Sadly, you can only disable the stock SGS6 apps, not uninstall them. :(

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It turns out you were right Ollie. I'm about to do a follow-up article which refutes this one. Sadly, you can only disable the stock SGS6 apps, not uninstall them. :(
Bummer. You couldn't let us dream for a couple of days before busting our bubble? :D

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That would make the pain of the truth just sting even more. :)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I still got all excited even though I know better. One can dream!

Step 1: Purchase Samsung Phone.
Step 2: Plug it into your PC.
Step 3: Run Odin as Administrator.
Step 4: Flash custom recovery.
Step 5: Flash Chainfire's root package.
Step 6: Reboot phone.
Step 7: Update SU.
Step 8: Make a backup.
Step 9: Uninstall all offending apps.

5 minutes tops. Samsung could very easily make it to where you can skip steps 2-8, but I'm pretty sure licensing deals with those bloat app companies probably stipulate that they can't be uninstalled.