Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Gets Abysmal 3/10 Repairability Score on iFixit Teardown

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s6-edge-teardown-ifixit.jpeg

It should come as no surprise that the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge gets a very poor rating on iFixit's Teardown repairability score. The Galaxy S6 Edge scored a paltry 3 out of 10 on their scale. This is due to the heavily integrated design and tighter manufacturing process with the premium materials. Here's the final breakdown shared by the folks at iFixit:

"Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Repairability Score: 3 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair).
  • Many components are modular and can be replaced independently.

• In an improvement over the S5's design, you no longer have to remove the display to get into the phone and replace the motherboard.

• Front and back glass make for double the crackability, and strong adhesive on the rear glass makes it very difficult to gain entry into the device.

• The battery is very tightly adhered to the back of the display, and buried beneath the midframe and motherboard.

• Replacing the glass without destroying the display is going to be very difficult."
If you would like to check out the full gory details of their dissection of the Galaxy S6 Edge, head over to the source link here: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Teardown - iFixit

Don't forget to check out our dedicated Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge Section here: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
This is what happens when you move to a thinner, sealed device.

It's still not as bad as the 2 that the HTC M9 (and M8) received or the 1 that the M7 got. A 3 is really bad, but HTC's scores are truly abysmal.

tekhub1

Reaction score
Remedy - Don't break it. I've owned various smart phones for quite some time. Never broke one or cracked the screen /body. Ever.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Fortunately this score has nothing to with the actual functionality of the device and when you do happen to damage one (at least for those who opt for the insurance) you typically get it replaced, so really it's a moot point.
Interesting nonetheless.

S5 tap'n

daniporan

Reaction score
Pleas! Pleas! Pleas! i insist upon, stop sending me a messages any more, i'm not interested, it finishes my smartphon batteries, from Daniel poran

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Doggone....because I've repaired every phone I've owned like 2 or 3 times. I'm handy like that.