Samsung Galaxy S7 has a Worse Repairability Rating on iFixit than the Galaxy S6

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s7-teardown-ifixit-march-2016.jpg

The Galaxy S7 just outdid its older sibling (the Galaxy S6) in one metric that is dubious at best. The folks at iFixit got their hands on the device and performed their usual teardown analysis. It turns out the Galaxy S7 has an even worse repairability rating than the previous generation Galaxy S6. The Galaxy S7 dropped down to a 3 out of 10 repairability compared to the 4 out of 10 for the Galaxy S6.

The most poignant takeaway from their disassembly can be summed up with this one statement, “replacing the glass without destroying the display is probably impossible.” Ouch!

You can check out their video in the thread below, but be sure to check out the full iFixit tear-down at the source link here: Samsung Galaxy S7 Teardown

Here's our dedicated section for the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge: Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's their video:

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
That is a downfall of these newer devices that have this "sealed" look to them. More difficult to repair for the average joe. A few years ago, I was able to swap out the display on my Galaxy Nexus mostly just by removing a few (tiny) screws and firmly prying the old screen out. If I were to attempt servicing a newer device, I'd need a heat gun, special adhesives, etc. No thanks.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Its at the point where you are just better off with Insurance (ex. Best Buy GSP, or Provider) on them and have it serviced or replaced that way. Depending on the Issue if there is a Deductible it would be less stressful albeit more costly.

Amagine

Reaction score
I love that the Iphone6 display is all one assembly. Makes it super easy to replace. Cost is around 80 bucks if you do it yourself. I mean with deductables around 99 for insurance, its a no brainer to me. I haven't looked at the S6 or S7 but I hope that the whole display could be swapped at some point.