Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge 12 Frequently Asked Questions

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
So its locked and never gonna be unlocked... ok gotcha
I didn't say it will never be unlocked. Some smart Dev will eventually come up with an exploit to unlock the bootloader.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It makes no sense to have less functionality on the S6E. Perhaps functionality will be added in the future.

Yeah. I haven't messed with an s6e but i have my hands on a note edge just about every day... I sort of like the idea... But don't use it enough to be sure..

Had I designed the s6e I would've gone with a heavier ui to make it more usable and less gimmicky.. They missed a golden opportunity here... They did a much better job with the note edge.. So much potential.. Wasted..(my mom said the same thing until I turned 25 lol)
Well it's a balance because fans been asking for a lighter touchwiz but we want functionality. To be honest I think it would be better to push all of their features to the play store so people can either remove what they do not use or add what they want to use. Example: I rarely use my phone for reading (ie novels) so the eye scrolling feature I would remove but want the sports ticker

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
So its locked and never gonna be unlocked... ok gotcha
That's not true. It's carrier dependant like it was mentioned earlier in the thread. AT&T & Verizon make it impossible these days, but if you're on T-Mobile or Sprint, you're almost guaranteed to have an unlocked bootloader. Or at least it's MUCH easier for developers to unlock. This has been SOP for all previous Samsung devices, so I don't see it being any different on the S6.

As for the Edge, I spent some time with this device over the wknd I felt it was completely gimmicky. I wanted to fall in love with this device (despite its lack of ext sd card & removable battery) but I would buy the regular S6 over the Edge variant. The display is amazing, but I just wish they would have made it as functional as the Note Edge.

S5 tap'n

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Well it's a balance because fans been asking for a lighter touchwiz but we want functionality. To be honest I think it would be better to push all of their features to the play store so people can either remove what they do not use or add what they want to use. Example: I rarely use my phone for reading (ie novels) so the eye scrolling feature I would remove but want the sports ticker

I agree. Problem is, I honestly don't think they made TW lighter. At least that wasn't my experience with their time I spent with it. Of course I'm not really used to Lollipop like many of you guys are as I've not taken the update on my S5, but I didn't feel TW was any "lighter". They've also included more non-removable bloat than the S5 & Note 4, so that's a step backwards.

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I agree. Problem is, I honestly don't think they made TW lighter. At least that wasn't my experience with their time I spent with it. Of course I'm not really used to Lollipop like many of you guys are as I've not taken the update on my S5, but I didn't feel TW was any "lighter". They've also included more non-removable bloat than the S5 & Note 4, so that's a step backwards.

S5 tap'n
Carrier bloat Samsung has no say over. Even Google caved with the nexus 6. Apple fans be happy, what ever the powers to be did to keep bloat off the iPhone, android manufacturers failed to be able to do. My argument in the past about carrier liability no longer goes as Samsung devices have proved to be just as popular.

The one I messed with felt light but the last galaxy I owned was the note 2 so I may have disqualified myself there if recent devices were lighter on the bloat.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It makes no sense to have less functionality on the S6E. Perhaps functionality will be added in the future.
While there might be some added, I wouldn't count on anything close to what the Note Edge has. One big reason why is that the curves on the S6 Edge are less pronounced than the one on the Note Edge. There's not as much room to work with.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I have the Note Edge and would never buy the S6 Edge. What they accomplished with it is fine. It works well. They just axed too much of what little the Note Edge had to offer. I'm considering picking up the regular S6. My only gripe with that is they chose the boring colors to launch in the U.S. so I will have to buy an international version from an online store.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I totally agree tw needs to be lighter.. And that in my opinion.. All manufacturers should have their apps be through the play store so we can have a stock android experience.. And add to it of we'd like..and not carry a bunch of bloat..

But what I'm saying is.. In the spirit of this, there should've been a plug in or dl developed to get more functionality out of the edges.. But as mentioned above.. The edges on the s6e are not as pronounced.. However I think they could've used a small stylus or something of the sort to bring in hover features to the edges since they obviously weren't made for touch... Just my opinion

Last edited: