Samsung Galaxy S5 Wins Blind Camera Comparison Contest

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
phone-arena-smartphone-camera-blind-test-results.png

Those clever folks over at PhoneArena had a great idea. They decided to settle the question as to which of several new Android and/or iOS smartphones produced the best images with their respective cameras. Obviously, image quality can be fairly subjective, so, rather than relying on editor's opinions, they instigated a blind test to their members via an online poll. This is a smart way to get a fair and over-all consensus without tainting the results with any biased opinions. The results were pretty surprising.

It turns out that the Samsung Galaxy S5 topped all competitors by a large margin. Coming in second was the Sony Xperia Z1, while third place was held by the Oppo Find 7a. The iPhone 5S lead the bottom half with 4th place.

Of course, there are a few glaring issues with this test. First, they didn't really include a large gamut of devices in the test, but we can forgive them a bit for that. The amount of time involved for a test like this with even more phones would have been prohibitive. However, the second glaring flaw is that they didn't include any Windows Phones. Perhaps they thought the PureView tech in the higher end Lumia series would have an unfair advantage, but it still makes us wonder why they weren't included.

Despite these wrinkles, the data is still worth our consideration. For anyone who wants an Android or iOS smartphone with outstanding camera quality, this is the best short-list you will find.

Source: PhoneArena

Caesars

Reaction score
It's Def best camera on a phone that I've ever had.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
That's great, thank you. Since I'm not personally interested in a Windows phone, the omission of them for the camera test doesn't bother me. Still, yes, I think it is odd that they were left out.
This just adds to the mounting evidence that the S5, with it's great camera (and other pluses of course) just might be the new phone for me. (depending on root availability, of course) :)

Gremlin

Reaction score
That's great, thank you. Since I'm not personally interested in a Windows phone, the omission of them for the camera test doesn't bother me. Still, yes, I think it is odd that they were left out.
This just adds to the mounting evidence that the S5, with it's great camera (and other pluses of course) just might be the new phone for me. (depending on root availability, of course) :)

Root availability depends on the carrier you are on.. If you are on VZ good luck..

biglilome

Reaction score
wow I wouldn't have thought that the S5 would get the win for camera.

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
wow I wouldn't have thought that the S5 would get the win for camera.
Why? Which one would you have guessed?
I've seen a handful of comparisons now, thanks to the news posts on this forum, and DF's 'sister' site dedicated to the S5, and the S5 has consistently taken the lead.
Pretty awesome :)