Samsung Galaxy S5 Goes On a Cross-Country Trip in Ultra-Power Save Mode

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[

A new video shows just how far the Samsung Galaxy S5 battery can stretch in ultra-power saving mode by making a coast-to-coast trip without a recharge. They even make a stop off in Alamogordo, NM, where you get to see the White Sands National Park. Alamogordo also happens to be the birthplace of ForumFoundry!

Here's a quote with the stats of this trip,

We put the Galaxy S 5 with Ultra Power Saving Mode to the ultimate challenge -- a coast to coast road trip without recharging.

The results: 3504 miles driven, 7 days on the road, 150 hours traveled, 86 texts sent, 119 photos taken, 4+ minutes of video, 16+ minutes of talk time, 13 states visited.

This seems almost unbelievable! What do you think?

ffarl

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a cool video. I wonder what functionality you lose in "Ultra Power Saving" mode. It probably checks for email twice a day or something.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yah I was wondering that myself. For me one of the biggest drains is switching from LTE to 3G or being in low coverage areas.. that drains my battery. Seems like you'd be doing a lot of that going from coast to coast.

ffarl

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if they plotted out the road trip based on LTE/3G coverage!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm a bit skeptical, but I don't doubt it could make it at least 3-4 days without a recharge which is impressive enough. Might have to grab an s5 and try it for myself :p

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The mode turns off background data, unnecessary connections like wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS. You can access only a few apps like phone, text, Facebook, calculator, and a couple others. The most I have seen it tell me was 11.4 days in standby.

jtpowell

Reaction score
I call BS. Real world usage in real world cross country trips in this day and age use things like GPS, Bluetooth, Navigation apps, looking up local or unknown points of interest, etc., etc.

Ultra Power saving is for people who keep their phone in their pockets. It'd never survive a real world dash mounted night in my city let alone cross country trip.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
What a bunch of gimmicks. And then they invent the ultra super duper awesome power saver called shutting down the phone! You can make it around the whole globe with that feature!

Caesars

Reaction score
In the few months I've used the s5,that Ultra battery mode was simply amazing. Some may not like this option, but it made my life a lot easier. Of course the 3 spare batteries helped a lot also ☺