Samsung Galaxy S III May be Experiencing Some Build Quality Issues with Casing

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s3-metal-case-crack-1.jpeg

I guess not all news regarding the Samsung Galaxy S III is good news. According to a few reports, the flagship device is experiencing some build quality issues related to its casing. When the phone was first introduced it was reported that the first batch of Pebble Blue cases had a slew of about 600,000 that needed to be destroyed due to faults in the manufacturing process leaving aesthetic flaws. Apparently, there are some other issues cropping up with the device. Several users around the web are reporting small cracks showing up on the back case in various places, from around the camera to the side. Supposedly, this is not due to mishandling either. The cracks just started forming for these users after normal daily use and no drops.

While it's far too early to tell if this is a systemic problem with the overall design of the cases, it is still worth reporting, just in case it is something that Samsung needs to investigate further. More than likely this could simply fall under the normal margin of error for the manufacture of any product. Sound off in the forums if you are seeing this same problem.

Source: S3Forums via PhoneArena

TeeX

Reaction score
hmmm........I was almost ready to pull the trigger and buy the S3, but may hold off a while now.

jseah

Reaction score
After playing around with the SIII's I got for my sons, I was thinking about getting one for myself, although I'll wait a bit to see what the rumored HTC quad-core will be like.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
How many users are having the issue? Can you guarantee it hasn't been dropped, sat on and bent, abused, etc?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
How many users are having the issue? Can you guarantee it hasn't been dropped, sat on and bent, abused, etc?

I'm buying one in two weeks, however I definitely want to make sure this isn't widespread. Either way I'll have a protection plan so... it could be worse.

huskur

Reaction score
isolated incident. As long as they have been out and the amount that have been sold around the world, there would be more defective devices. I am not a believer yet

piankeshaw

Reaction score
*****!

hmmm........I was almost ready to pull the trigger and buy the S3, but may hold off a while now.
Don't be such a daggone *****! Go for it! :biggrin: My first S3 was a dog, but the second one is RED HOT! shiishhh!

missm102

Reaction score
Galaxy SIII Problems - MAJOR

Hopefully I just have a lemon,but received the phone last Wednesday, 7/18, and activated that day. While charging, the phone got hot enough for me to Google to see if this was a common problem - appears to be. I stuck with it. When trying to activate the unique Motion features, I discovered that none of them worked, nor did a friend of mine's. I was assured by Tech Support that I had activated everything needed and they didn't have to do any additional measures from their end to activate these features. With both the overheating and the Motion features not working, Verizon immediately said they were sending me another phone. In the meantime, my phone has totally frozen up [to the point of not even being able to make or receive phone calls - forget the fun stuff - I can't do basic things!] I do hope this is just a bad phone and not a sign of a more systemic problem with the US release of this product...

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Could be an issue of the U.S. version device, could be a result of VZ's incessant meddling with the OS. My D2 used to get so hot before I got rid of all the bloatware stressing the processor that the keyboard buttons all lifted off from the backing.

missm102

Reaction score
Now on my second SIII in a week- some of the motion controls work, others don't. Verizon peeps don't know why not. At least this one hasn't over-heated and frozen up. Steps in the right direction - but if a feature is advertised, I want it to work - out of the box as stated! Anyone else experiencing Motion Control issues?

Beka27

Reaction score
The motion features are hit and miss. I'm not on TW, so I don't know how much (if any) that has to do with them not working. Screen shot works 100% for me. Raise to call works 95%. Not working: smart stay, tap to top, and the various zoom/pan features.