Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes while charging using a USB Type-C converter!

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'll bet it's depending, as you and others posted, upon the cable, if a cheap one, the direction of the micro end may be the issue, how it's aligned with the C adapter and phone...

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't doubt it's a failure on the design and manufacturing level by some cable companies. The bigger problem though is that the standard is flawed in that there are not sufficient safeguards built in to prevent mistakes in manufacture from causing these meltdowns. Since we are now sending more current and voltage through these cables, there needs to be inherent safety systems put in place at the component level to dump any unintended current leaks to ground and away from the battery. We have things such ground fault interrupt breakers for home AC circuits, there needs to be similar, if not more innovative ways to protect these batteries from faulty or flawed cables.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
That's why Amazon is pulling bad cables.

This happened in China. I don't think the UA applies there.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow, if that story is true then it was smart Google did not include an USB c to USB adapter. I commended Samsung on this. But it was smarter for Google to force people to do it right or tell people not to buy. Samsung including an adapter opens the door for the customer to point to them vs if Samsung only included the stock charger and forced people to buy their cables so they take no responsibility for customers burning up their phones with cheap aftermarket cables.

*Note: unless it says in their manuals that the adapter is to be used with older official Samsung cables only.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Wow, if that story is true then it was smart Google did not include an USB c to USB adapter. I commended Samsung on this. But it was smarter for Google to force people to do it right or tell people not to buy. Samsung including an adapter opens the door for the customer to point to them vs if Samsung only included the stock charger and forced people to buy their cables so they take no responsibility for customers burning up their phones with cheap aftermarket cables.

*Note: unless it says in their manuals that the adapter is to be used with older official Samsung cables only.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I purchased the car charger. I am going to return it. To be safe.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I see a problem with that video, Unless I'm wrong, I've been wrong before, the cable doesn't provide the power, the power supply it's plugged into does, so how is it the cables fault, when it's simply the "pipe" delivering the power from the power supply.... Please help me understand...??

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Smith 001

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung s7 edge
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes while charging using a USB Type-C converter

7331c791d70f0586a45b2d31078bc69e.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 explodes while charging using a USB Type-C converter

It looks terrible.Did it work too long or just start using.I'm afraid of mine.I usually use it for couple hours until its battery run out.And then I put on charger keep playing.

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I see a problem with that video, Unless I'm wrong, I've been wrong before, the cable doesn't provide the power, the power supply it's plugged into does, so how is it the cables fault, when it's simply the "pipe" delivering the power from the power supply.... Please help me understand...??

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Cables have resistors that should prevent too much power going to the device. Type C cables can work without those safeties in place. Hence why Benson went nuts on Amazon.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Huh, well it's a good thing i only use Samsung plugs....i use a different cable though.

Was he saying that if you plug your phone into your laptop then plug the cable back to the wall plug you will kill your phone? If so does that mean you take a chance plugging in you phone to transfer data to the computer then unplugging it from the computer back to the wall charger to charge? I don't think that the Samsung wall plug puts out enough to do that I have so many of those Samsung wall plugs....lol

Just trying to understand that video better really don't want to fry my phone.

I have a Belkin car charger I went and just upgraded all my cables to use type C.
Sent From My Galaxy Note 7

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I checked my car charger and it is an Aukey not Anker! So I am okay!
9ef04fc0ab1bdd65386664ff53002edd.jpg

Anker pulled it's cables not chargers.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The car charger came with a USB-C Cable and a USB cable.

Yes and? They are both Aukey correct? Anker is the one pulling type c. Aukey went through rigorous reviews by Benson late last year.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
It looks like the microUSB to USB-C converter in the Note 7 box is attached to an older non-Samsung cable.