Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Beats the Note 4 in Battery Life Tests

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Both of them though? I have a spare that I bought months after I bought the phone & didn't have to use it much until recently unless I had a long day & then was going to be out late.

Also, android OS & something else other than screen have topped the chart.
Android System has dropped from #1 to number 4 since my last cache wipe. It's now almost normal looking again with screen #1 and AS and Android OS not either being almost the same or above it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Android System has dropped from #1 to number 4 since my last cache wipe. It's now almost normal looking again with screen #1 and AS and Android OS not either being almost the same or above it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Just did a wipe. Hoping for similar results.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
39bb52edf4565ab744542c1e350ab9d7.jpg

Android system and Android OS are usually the top two for me.....ever since the Lollipop update, and after 2 FDR'S and many many cache wipes. Nothing's helped for me.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It has been that way for me since KitKat. Maybe even Jellybean.

Reactions: cr6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It has been that way for me since KitKat. Maybe even Jellybean.
Until L mine was always screen first unless something went rogue. Days of little SOT the screen would barely be top but it was still top.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I want to see real life tests

Sent from my Verizon G4
I agree, these test numbers ALWAYS differ from "real world" numbers. That said, I think it's great their able to eek out more power from this device using a smaller battery. They pulled the same stunt with the S5 to S6, and the S6 held its own considering. Just think of the numbers they COULD have thrown up, had they at least stuck with the same sized battery as the previous model. Again, real world numbers will be different, and a year certainly makes a difference with overall battery efficiency. My S5 consistently got 7 1/2- 8 hours of SOT during the first 6 months. Now, just over a year later, I average 6 - 6 1/2 SOT. Still not bad, but 60-90 minutes is a considerable loss when it comes to SOT.

S5 tap'n

MattCHowell

Reaction score
If it beats the note 4 with a smaller battery, doesn't that mean that if they give the 4 the same software update, it in turn would be better than the 5?

jhom

Reaction score
My take on battery life:
Note 5: Battery life - 9 hr 11 m; Wired quick charge - 100% in 90 m; Wireless quick charge - 100% in 120 m :(
Note 4: Battery life - 8 hr 43 m; Replace battery - 100% in < 1 m :D
Enough said.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Wirelessly quick charging at that speed is impressive. My Note Edge charges from low battery to full in just over an hour via wall charger. It charges very slowly on my built in Qi charger in my car though.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have to agree that these "tests" although uniform in nature don't take into consideration the unlimited numbers of variances one will experience due to different usage patterns, different applications installed and different services such as social networking, entertainment and such running.

We need real world testing to get a better reference. That's where the users here shine. They tell us what they're REALLY experiencing and we can see the things running and the positions on the list of power consumption to get a far better idea how long we can expect them to last on one charge.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
You know, now that it has been brought up here, since switching to the G4, I never have Android OS, Android System, or even Cell Standby at the top of my usage list. It's always screen, maybe Facebook if it's a majorly boring day lol.
Is it TW doing that??

Sent from my Verizon G4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know, now that it has been brought up here, since switching to the G4, I never have Android OS, Android System, or even Cell Standby at the top of my usage list. It's always screen, maybe Facebook if it's a majorly boring day lol.
Is it TW doing that??

Sent from my Verizon G4
It's 5.0.1 is what I've read. Are you running 5.0.1 on your G4? I'm running 5.0.2 on my G2 and screen is its top user always. T-Mobile went from 4.4.4 to 5.0.2 on it, skipping what my Note4 has altogether.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
So...lemme know how that battery keeps a charge next year. Buying a whole new phone because your battery is shot. That blows. Disposable design at premium pricing well keep those quarterly earnings in the hole imo.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So...lemme know how that battery keeps a charge next year. Buying a whole new phone because your battery is shot. That blows. Disposable design at premium pricing well keep those quarterly earnings in the hole imo.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I have the Note 1 and the battery in it is still just fine.