Samsung Display to Demo 5.5-Inch Flexible 720p Screen at CES

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
flexiblewhite.jpg

Although most of the industry intel we have received indicates that the SGS4 will not sport a flexible display after-all, that doesn't mean that Samsung isn't still working on the technology. In fact, a new report suggests we will get our first taste of the new tech at CES next year. According to Engadget, Samsung Display (the spin-off display arm of Samsung), will debut a 5.5-inch flexible screen 720p screen at CES in January. Here's a quote with some of the details,

Samsung Display -- a recent spinoff from the Korean giant -- has let it be known that it'll demo a 5.5-inch flexible 720p display at this year's tech mecca. Keep this in mind, though: what we'll see is merely a component that could one day find its way into a smartphone, rather than a finished product that's meant for consumers. Samsung Display also wants to ground your expectations that while its screens bend without breaking, they're not designed to roll up.

What do you guys think... are you excited about this new display tech?

Source: Engadget

jspradling7

Reaction score
What's the practical application for this? Wrap around goggles?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Displays that don't shatter as easily if dropped is the biggest appeal to me.

The display is only half the issue. The digitizer is the part that usually breaks and then messes up the display beneath it. Plus with phones having the digitizer and display as one piece, it doesn't matter if its less likely to break, you'll have to buy it anyways.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Flexible and scratch resistant tend not to go hand in hand. I'll take greater scratch resistance over a flexible screen.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
This is new? I thought Samsung's been showing flexible screens at conferences for a few years now?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
this would work great on motorcycle visors so you can have navigation displaying on the visor.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Flexible Display

It has more far reaching applications than just small phone displays. Can you imagine computer displays that you could bend around you for simulation or gaming purposes? I mean you could literally look over your shoulder behind you during a game. It would make multi-monitor displays a thing of the past.

dfcfu342

Reaction score
I just don't see the market for them perhaps I'm just short sighted. Displays rarely break, it's usually the digitizer that is broken. And this won't prevent cracked screens as its the glass cover that cracks, not the actual display. And if the cover is flexible good luck with all the scratches.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
i think by flexible they mean that you can form it into any shape during production and then it's final product is a solid piece just not a flat screen. even though it would be cool to have a bluetooth jacket that could display phone screen on your sleeve.

Last edited: