Samsung Claims Foldable Smartphones Could Come Next Year (2016)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would be sweet to have something about phone sized with a screen on it that you could literally use as a phone, then unfold it in fours as jkaod says and have a tablet-sized screen.
BlackBerry did that , sort of, years ago. Just before the Storm if memory serves. I think it was ahead of its time style wise, the public was not ready for a flip smartphone.
Casio did a phone where it was a flip phone but the screen twisted to be a full size screen when closed, open and twist to have the same screen but also a keyboard. My wife used one for about 5 years until finally updating to an iPhone last year.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
BlackBerry did that , sort of, years ago. Just before the Storm if memory serves. I think it was ahead of its time style wise, the public was not ready for a flip smartphone.
Casio did a phone where it was a flip phone but the screen twisted to be a full size screen when closed, open and twist to have the same screen but also a keyboard. My wife used one for about 5 years until finally updating to an iPhone last year.
Yep. The Pearl. Right after Storm, I think. It was pretty nice, actually. Co worker had one.
I couldn't be less interested in a bendy Sammy phone...

TapaTurbo

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep. The Pearl. Right after Storm, I think. It was pretty nice, actually. Co worker had one.
I couldn't be less interested in a bendy Sammy phone...

TapaTurbo
Thanks. I remembered it was right there with the Storm time frame, thought it was just prior.
Unless it's "Jethro Gibbs slam shut test certified" I'm not interested either.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Well, so are vending machines that sell used girls panties! That doesn't mean it will work here.

S5 tap'n
Damn I knew I was missing something!!!

squeak

Reaction score
(insert folding iPhone 6 joke here)

I think that this tech will be much more applicable to tablets, at least in to short term. I do like the idea of a trifold device that can be used like a phone while folded and a tablet when unfolded, but i think that it would be more likely to be done with current technology and three individual screens rather than one large flexible display. Think about the near bezel less Sharp phone and the Oppo "leak" from earlier this week. Imagine 3 of those hinged together with two of the sections each containing a battery and the third section containing the bulk of the circuitry. There would be small lines where the sections met, but I think the current display tech that is used to produce the illusion of an edge to edge display could be used to make the seams almost unnoticeable.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they incorporated Note Edge like inner screens it could truly be edge to edge with no bezel and, as you wrote, the display technology could give a truly seamless screen.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode 4