Samsung Announces Unpacked Event for August 13th

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-unpacked-event-august-2015.png

Samsung just officially announced their next announcement event. Does that make this a pre-announcement announcement? Anyhoo, It looks like the rumors of an August 13th announcement we posted previously turned out to be dead-on. Samsung's next Unpacked event will be held on August 13th in New York. We fully expect to see the unveiling of the Galaxy Note 5 and the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus.

There are two big things that fans of the Galaxy Note series are looking forward to finding out. One is if it will have a removable battery. All signs point in the negative on that subject, although no official confirmation has been given. The other is if the Galaxy Note 5 will include a microSD slot or not. The rumors on that subject have been flip-flopping like a slippery politician lately.

For some folks, this is a make or break moment for the fifth generation Galaxy Note. We only have to wait about 2.5 weeks to find out its final fate.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Fingers crossed for an sd card slot. Could care less about the removable battery.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm more interested to see if there will be anything new in wearables. I've got a buddy that is a Tizen developer that has said they want him to mage his stuff "round compatible". Makes me wonder if the Gear 3 will be round or will Samsung be releasing yet another version of their smartwatch. Will they be dumping AW altogether or they split hairs again and offer 2 OS's
This event might be about the phones only but I hope for some news on their watches since the Apple watch is out and they love to clone Apple. Will Samsung move majorly forward in the watch line-up or a small step, with included head scratcher, like their phones?
As far as removable card and/or battery, I'm not really bugged if they lose the removable memory but the battery is a biggie to me. Batteries wear out before phones. I went through 3 batteries in 2+ years with my Rezound and 3 batteries on my Inc in about the same time period. If I keep this Note4 past the battery longevity life I don't want a refurb or have to buy another phone because the battery wore out. If they seal the battery on future models that becomes a factor that I don't need to worry about on this phone. Suppose M ( or N ) frags battery life worse than lollipop, the way Verizon updates fragged my Rezound and Incredible? Those phones were horrible when abandoned and Samsung abandons devices just as soon, if not sooner.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I only ever get excited about these when they announce a device that I don't already have the previous version of. The got me with the S4 when I had the gnex. They got me with the Note 4 when I had the S4. This time around, I'm not really concerned. I'm either going with the next nexus or back to Moto when I decide it's time to upgrade again.

Mark, don't forget that they announced the new watch alongside the Note last year.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mark, don't forget that they announced the new watch alongside the Note last year.

That's why I mentioned the wearables. I think they also brought out the Circle at the same time, though it didn't release for a while afterward. I'm intrigued because the more I find about Tizen and how Samsung treats developers for it the more I wonder why it's not getting more development. To elaborate would jack the thread so I'll digress other than stating again, I've got more interest in the wearable line-up than whether or not this is the Note model Samsung clones Apple's sealed phone status, basically shutting the door on any future Samsung coming with removables. If not the Note5 it'll be the Note6. Too many Benjamins available at the rip off rate to continue to pass up forever.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think you're right about the Circle. Forgot about that. I've been saying it all along about Tizen, but I don't get it. Why would anyone want to have to develop for yet another OS. Look at all of these articles talking about Windows right now and how Win 8 was supposed to bring all sorts of apps that could be used on mobile or PC that never really came. The same concerns loom over 10.

iOS and Android are the kings of the mobile world. Does that mean there's no room for anyone else? IMO, no, but it's going to be a VERY uphill climb to get devs to support another OS. But, I also digress.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I am mad excited about the Note 5!!!....you boys are silly!

sent from my fabulous Note 4♡

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you're right about the Circle. Forgot about that. I've been saying it all along about Tizen, but I don't get it. Why would anyone want to have to develop for yet another OS. Look at all of these articles talking about Windows right now and how Win 8 was supposed to bring all sorts of apps that could be used on mobile or PC that never really came. The same concerns loom over 10.

iOS and Android are the kings of the mobile world. Does that mean there's no room for anyone else? IMO, no, but it's going to be a VERY uphill climb to get devs to support another OS. But, I also digress.
Samsung has a replacement for the Circle available now but it's not a Gear Manager user. I'm kinda interested if that's where they're going, yet another random direction because it uses yet another app , or will they take the head scratchers from the Circle and bring it more into a "now that makes sense" direction. I'm just thinking forward to the day when my S and Circles wear out which way I'll be leaning to replace them. LG has another model of Tones but yawn, just a higher price tag on a refresh only. AW looks like it'll be mainstream standalone by the time I replace my watch. No I'm not talking about data plans and what not. I mean standalone usage like a Casio Data Bank, only better. When I'm in the boonies and leave my phone at home it's on purpose and I could care less about getting my emails and texts but I might want to make a voice note, create a way point on a map, read a Bible passage while taking a break, or make a list of stuff I should've remembered to bring (like bug spray or a flashlight so I don't have to use my watch as a flashlight). Stuff a standalone can do.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung announced earlier this year that they will be releasing a watch and that they aren't rushing this one to the shelves.

Samsung s Next Smartwatch To Be Revealed Next Month - Forbes

And then there is this:

Samsung Gets Weird With Its Latest Smartwatch Patent

And I agree with Princess. I am looking forward to seeing the Note 5.
Thanks a ton. Though I'm a little disappointed in the smaller screen size, cellular radio does interest me. I'm most likely in the vast minority there but it's nice to have that ability. Having the power button on the side is also much more convenient than on the front also, even if I never used its other functions.
I also like the flip capable because twisting the wrist to see your watch isn't always the most comfortable or practical thing to do. I know it's not the BEST example, but the first one that came to mind was driving. I have an S so my usage is different than many so I just like the out of the box thinking potential, even if it just gets cloned by Motorola or LG at some point down the road.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model