Samsung announces LTE version of Galaxy S II

Tegamal

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not...

Samsung announces LTE version of Galaxy S II and Galaxy Tab 8.9, will show them off at IFA

By Jerry Hildenbrand 28 Aug 2011 3:53 pm

Samsung has announced two new products ahead of their presumably big showing at IFA this week in Berlin, the Galaxy S II and Galaxy Tab 8.9 -- in LTE flavors. They tell us a few limited specs, 1.5GHz CPU for both, and a size bump to a 4.5 inch screen in the Galaxy S II. The rest looks to be unchanged, so we can't assume that the mythical 720p Super AMOLED screen (the one that haunts my dreams) will show up in the new Galaxy S II. Interestingly, the Galaxy Tab 8.9 product pages have went live at Samsung's website as well, so we're pretty sure the Wifi version will also rear its head at IFA.

We've heard all sorts of rumors and speculation about exactly what Samsung has in store for Verizon customers, and we've said all along to hold tight -- even after the Verizon version of the existing Galaxy S II seemed to have disappeared from the radar.

Will Verizon be picking up either or both of these two? We can't say for sure, but it seems like a no-brainer. We expect more details when these all get shown in Berlin, and until then we'll just have to sit tight.

Source: Samsung (Korean); via Engadget
Samsung announces LTE version of Galaxy S II and Galaxy Tab 8.9, will show them off at IFA | Android Central

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Didn't VZW just say they would not be getting the SII? Could be going to Sprint, though, which I believe is switching to LTE from WiMax. Plus, I believe AT&T should be in the process of launching it's first LTE towers.

Also, I feel like VZW may be throwing Moto a bone or two. Depends on who really is responsible for the Xoom debacle and the delays on the Bionic. It would seem to be Moto, but VZW maybe owes them something for taking the risk and pains to provide the first high-end LTE devices.

OP
Tegamal

Tegamal

Reaction score
They did say they would not be getting the Galaxy S2, but they would be getting an "almost identical" device.

SOURCE: Samsung Galaxy S II Not Coming to Verizon | TechUnwrapped

Samsung Galaxy S II Not Coming to Verizon

On 08.25.11, In Featured, Mobile, News, Samsung, by Simon Alparaz

The long-awaited Samsung Galaxy S II has been available in countries other than the United States for months now, flaunting its 4.3″ Super AMOLED, Gorilla Glass, 1.2GHz dual-core, and 8.49mm thin goodness. It was rumored that the Galaxy S II would be a 4G LTE specific device for Verizon, having unique perks on other carriers (such as the keyboard on the Sprint Galaxy S); but that isn’t so.

Today, a Verizon spokesperson has confirmed that the Galaxy S II will not be coming to Verizon. Unlike the first variants of the Galaxy S series, the Galaxy S II will only be available on three major carriers, Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T.

However, for those of you who were exited for this universal major carrier phone, there is a silver lining to this. BGR reports that Verizon and Samsung plan to release a device with similar (almost identical) specifications to the Galaxy S II, although are not going to bundle it with the rest of the crew. There is no official indication of this, so for the time being, it is just a rumor.

Like it said, just a rumor, but there's still hope!

bhall238

Reaction score
This is the phone I want next. I sure hope it comes to Verizon, I don't care what they call it, just as long as the specs are "almost identical" I think I'll be happy.

sb1831

Reaction score
Keep in mind that in the U.S. AT&T and VZW LTE phones are not compatible because they run on different frequencies. I believe European LTE consists of 4 freqs so this may just be a European LTE/world phone

jemmymoore

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing information regarding LTE version of this phone as i wasn't aware about it.:smile: S2 is a pure genius and worth its high cost. I mainly utilize s2 for playing games and surfing web but in comparison to my previous htc desire HD (which i have used for an year), the visual quality of sgs2 is far better.:icon_ rocker: So far i have used htc phones like wildfire s and desire hd but the technology provided in Samsung galaxy s2 is simply perfect according to my requirements. The built in applications in this phone is far better than those htc apps. Mainly its gps system which should serve an example to other phone manufacturers and software developers to built something innovative.:angry: