S4 antenna questions

derekeh83

Reaction score
Sorry to start two topics this close but my mind was wondering lol. It just seems like my s4 has constantly been plagued with WiFi and cell signal issues. Is it possible its an antenna connection issue? Could I look inside the phone and check this? Are there any antenna mods that can be done to help? Just curious but I'm.open to modding my phone. My contract was up long ago and if I did screw something up I could just sign a contract and get a new phone.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
You posted this in the S4 forum. Your post and profile indicate it may not be an S4 you are discussing!?

OP
D

derekeh83

Reaction score
I posted it from my s4 and I even mentioned my s4 in the post. Am I overlooking something or having some sort of brain fart? Lol

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Your profile says Droid 3 so I was just making certain. (Also you said your contract was up which didn't make it sound like it was really an S4) From what I remember from a tear-down I saw I don't think there is much you could do to improve the internal antenna(s).

Has it been that way from the start?

OP
D

derekeh83

Reaction score
Ah I need to change my profile! I trade phones a lot and have had the s4 a month or so. Its had signal issues since I've had it. Horrible WiFi and signal doesn't compare to any of my prior phones. Its usable but still not near as good as it should be.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Sorry to start two topics this close but my mind was wondering lol. It just seems like my s4 has constantly been plagued with WiFi and cell signal issues. Is it possible its an antenna connection issue? Could I look inside the phone and check this? Are there any antenna mods that can be done to help? Just curious but I'm.open to modding my phone. My contract was up long ago and if I did screw something up I could just sign a contract and get a new phone.

Not sure how it is that you have a Samsung S4 which has only been out 5 months, and yet your contract is up on it - but rather than voiding it by attempting repair, why not exchange it under the 1yr warranty? Unless you are an experienced electronics tech, it is doubtful that blundering around inside your phone would resolve anything.

OP
D

derekeh83

Reaction score
I traded for this phone. I trade like every 3 to 4 months.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I traded for this phone. I trade like every 3 to 4 months.

OK. Not sure if the 1yr warranty transfers to the second owner, but worth asking. If you have a Best Buy nearby that has a Samsung department, they should be able to answer warranty questions and possibly help get a replacement. You would also have the chance to compare reception with another S4.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ah I need to change my profile! I trade phones a lot and have had the s4 a month or so. Its had signal issues since I've had it. Horrible WiFi and signal doesn't compare to any of my prior phones. Its usable but still not near as good as it should be.

I'm sorry to say that my S4 was plagued with the same issues. I've started experiencing garbled communications in an area near my home that hadn't been a problem over the last 5 Motorola phone I've had. Wi-Fi is also much weaker in one end of my house than it ever was with the Motorola phones.

I'm now happy to report I'm typing on my new Motorola MAXX!

As for your phone, I know of no mods you can do to improve the radios. :-(

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
D

derekeh83

Reaction score
I finally gave up. Not being able to use WiFi is killing me. I travel for work and I've yet to find a hotel that I can use WiFi with. Yet everyone else connects fine with their phones. So I ordered a droid maxx. I loves the s4 but the WiFi and signal issues were too much. Hopefully the maxx works better.

Reaction score
I've had the same issues. I've traded the phone in and sent it to Texas to Samsung to repair....same issues. Just not nearly as good of a signal as any other phone I've had. Including many HTC phones as well as the S3. Every other aspect of this phone is amazing. Signal, terrible.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I've had the same issues. I've traded the phone in and sent it to Texas to Samsung to repair....same issues. Just not nearly as good of a signal as any other phone I've had. Including many HTC phones as well as the S3. Every other aspect of this phone is amazing. Signal, terrible.

Failed phone, not a design issue, since most have no issue, and some like me saw an improvement over past phones.

Natey2

Reaction score
Is your S4 inside some kind of case?
I notice my Bluetooth connection to my car was better with the (former) hard case taken off. I use a much lighter, flexible case now.
My former DroidX had excellent bluetooth, with or without a case.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
Failed phone, not a design issue, since most have no issue, and some like me saw an improvement over past phones.

I suppose its possible that I got two bad devices & Samsung couldn't repair it. I have noticed that the type of case used makes a difference but I've had the best luck so far with an Urban Armor Gear case. Its light/flexible....but still same issues overall.