S3 taking forever to charge

debrad0307

Reaction score
Just like the title says. I can plug my s3 I'm at night and by the morning it still isn't fully charged. Sometimes it charges quick then it's like it stops charging. It's discharging pretty quickly too. Just curious if you think it might be the battery. The phone is all under warranty so I should be able to get the battery replaced. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't think the battery is covered under warranty beyond a VERY short time, like days after purchase. My guess is the battery but it could be the charger, and/or charging circuit, like a slight short. Battery is the first and best guess. You didn't say how long it takes to run down.

OP
debrad0307

debrad0307

Reaction score
Well that's the thing. Sometimes I have good battery life and other times it's crap. I went down to Verizon today and they really couldn't fix my issue. They said that it could be the battery or it could be the charging port on my phone. I have to swap batteries with my husband and see if I have the same charging issue. He couldn't explain why my battery sometimes drains rapidly. There are times when it will only last 6 hours with hardly any use. Today it seems to be doing better. I have had it off the charger since about 9 this morning and I still have 80% with medium to high usage.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'd swap batteries to really test it out first if I were you. If it's the battery it's obviously an easy fix. However, I have heard of charging ports going bad (the contacts go bad usually) and replacement means sending it in and waiting up to 2 weeks to get fixed. Though as popular as the s3 is you could probably get it fixed at a cell repair store in a matter of a few hours once they get the part.

Battery drain could be due to a bad battery or a rogue app. Do you have a battery monitor installed? Gsam battery monitor is a good one which can break down which apps are draining it.

OP
debrad0307

debrad0307

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I was told by Verizon that they would send me a replacement phone but if I can just get the port (assuming that's the issue) fixed I would much rather do that. I'm gonna swap batteries with the hubby and see if that helps. Gsam battery monitor. I'm gonna have to get that and see what's going on with the drain.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks for the tip. I was told by Verizon that they would send me a replacement phone but if I can just get the port (assuming that's the issue) fixed I would much rather do that. I'm gonna swap batteries with the hubby and see if that helps. Gsam battery monitor. I'm gonna have to get that and see what's going on with the drain.

Well getting the port fixed will cost you money, whereas if Verizon sends you a replacement that should be free if you're still under warranty.

Hopefully it's just the battery and/or a rogue app. If not, then good luck

OP
debrad0307

debrad0307

Reaction score
To be honest I would much rather pay to get it fixed rather than have to set up the phone again

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
To be honest I would much rather pay to get it fixed rather than have to set up the phone again

Fair enough, I know the pain of setting up a phone all over again. Tis the life of a flash-o-holic

OP
debrad0307

debrad0307

Reaction score
Thought I would update you all on the battery sotuation. Found out it was actually the charging cable that was giving me problems. So, thankfully I have fixed the issue. :D

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
In the words of my younger sister FANTABULOUS. So happy you didn't need the new phone setup route.

Last edited:
OP
debrad0307

debrad0307

Reaction score
In the words of my younger sister FANTABULOUS. Sop happy you didn't need the new phone setup route.

I agree. I really didn't want to have to root it and rom it again lol

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk