problems with charging

cdipier2

Reaction score
I got this phone brand new on Thursday and I'm already having problems with it charging. Saterday night I put it on charge then I wake up Sunday morning and it says fully charged but there's atleast half the battery missing. When I plug it in it say fully charged. Then last night I turn off when the battery was low put it on charge over night wake up this morning the screen says fully charged. I turned the phone on and it says the battery is low! What the heck is going on with this thing its only 4 days old. Did I buy a headache of a phone?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest bringing it back to the store and see if they can help you. 4 days is well within the return/swap for a new phone. This is probably your best bet. Could be a software/hardware issue.

OP
C

cdipier2

Reaction score
Yea I'm gonna have to go after work. Luckily I got it to charge in my car so the battery should be good for the day. It seems like it charges when it wants to

nbucko

Reaction score
Are you using the charger that it came with or another one from a different phone? I tried to charge my wife's with a moto charger from my OG and it said it was charging but when she unplugged it in the morning it was still dead. I seem to recall seeing other threads about phones not charging with certain chargers etc.

OP
C

cdipier2

Reaction score
yea i figured out the problem a couple days ago. i was using the charger from my d2 and it was killing the battery. now im using the one that came with the phone and the battery is pretty damn good. lasts longer then my d2 and that has an extended battery. keep in mind that my stratosphere is mainly on 3G since 4G isnt really in my area yet

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I wonder what causes this problem with some combinations. I have used 6 different chargers with both my wife's Ally and my Droid and never had a problem. They are the Ally charger, Droid charger, Moto BT headset charger, Zagg charger, Verizon car charger and Verizon wall charger. Are Samsung phones more prone to this than other brands?

nbucko

Reaction score
I want to say that I've heard about this with HTC as well but I'm not sure. My opinion is that its all about continuing to make money on a device through accessories. If they can limit the accessories that can be used to the ones that they make then they can make more money by charging you $29.99 for a car charger when you could buy an off brand for $5.99.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I want to say that I've heard about this with HTC as well but I'm not sure. My opinion is that its all about continuing to make money on a device through accessories. If they can limit the accessories that can be used to the ones that they make then they can make more money by charging you $29.99 for a car charger when you could buy an off brand for $5.99.

Interesting thought. Perhaps that is why our old phones don't have a problem and the newer ones sometimes do. They came up with that idea after the Droid and Ally were designed. Or maybe Moto and LG phones are a little more tolerant of different chargers. I like the idea of having to only take one charger on vacation for both phones and our BT headsets.

nbucko

Reaction score
That would be correct. Now that the ability to do this exists, i wouldn't be surprised to see most/all manufacturers doing this eventually. Then its up to the off brands to find a way to make them work.

dbronstein

Reaction score
I'm using my Droid 1 charger with my stratosphere without any problems as well.

hpelton

Reaction score
My problem isn't with other chargers its with the one that came with the phone. When I use that one my phone reacts crazy touch responds eratically and nothing works right until I unplug it. When I use chargers from my older phones the phone works perfectly. Anyone know what to do?

OP
C

cdipier2

Reaction score
none of my old chargers from my droid 2 work with my phone i tried them all. it says charging but after a while on charge i unplug and it did nothing. so i have to use the one that came with the phone

loriloo

Reaction score
Wonky behavior

My problem isn't with other chargers its with the one that came with the phone. When I use that one my phone reacts crazy touch responds eratically and nothing works right until I unplug it. When I use chargers from my older phones the phone works perfectly. Anyone know what to do?

I'm noticing the same issue, regardless of what charger I use (PC, wall, car, etc.). Hubby has the same phone and his seems to be fine.

BryanP

Reaction score
Has anything new been discovered about this? I bought a Stratosphere off Craigslist for my wife to replace her LG Ally. I discovered the charger in the box and the one that was plugged up to my D2's dock will work, but none of the LG branded chargers will do anything. Haven't had a chance to test my car chargers yet.