[Rumor] Verizon Planning Prepaid LTE Service - Launching July 17th

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-bright-gray-horizon.jpg

Here's a juicy rumor that slipped by us during the Independence Day holiday weekend. Apparently, Big Red may be planning a new prepaid LTE service which will launch on July 17th. Here are the details,

Verizon set to offer prepaid 4G LTE starting on July 17th. Unlimited talk/text, 500MB data for $45 (+1GB = $10, +3GB = $20). Works with any LTE-capable handset.

Hmmm... what do you guys think of this? Would it be something worth investigating?

Source: @evleaks

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Interesting. I guess I just assumed everyone had access to 4G on their 4G enabled device regardless of whether they were prepaid or on contract. That said, why bother getting a smartphone if you've only got 500mb to work with? (Let alone 3gb) I would think even the lightest of users would go through that in a week. I suppose if Wi-Fi is available everywhere you go this may be a viable option.
That or I'm just a data whore!

tap'n on my S5

Last edited:

squeak

Reaction score
The "works with any LTE-capable handset" bit is interesting, but I'm sure it means "works with and Verizon LTE-capable handset".

Reactions: cr6

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That said, why bother getting a smartphone if you've only got 500mb to work with? (Let alone 3gb) I would think even the lightest of users would go through that in a week.
Couldn't agree more. We were traveling abroad a few years ago and bought SIMS + 500MB data plans for two Droid 3s. For both phones, we raced through the data in about 2 days each, just doing normal stuff like email, light web, and some Google Maps. Admittedly if you have a good source of wifi, then 500MB could last longer than a week...but that just begs the LTE/4G question in the first place.

On a related note: ended up buying the Moto G GSM w/LTE for my daughter and put it on a plan from Straight Talk, and while we don't get any signal in our house, she gets full bars from AT&T in town. The plan includes unlimited voice/texts, plus 3GB of data at LTE for $45 + tax. MUCH, MUCH better than VZW's prepaid offerings.

-Matt

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is just another way for them to sell you more data. If T-Mobile and Sprint can sell you unlimited data, then you know Verizon and AT&T can do the same, but because they know they have most people by the you know what, do to their nationwide coverage, they can gauge you to no end. Modern day extortion, guns not needed.

Reactions: cr6

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I know AT&T GoPhone plans have access to LTE. I just popped a SIM card in a GS2 Skyrocket. Pre-paid customers should have access to the same voice and data speeds.

shockracer

Reaction score
The "works with any LTE-capable handset" bit is interesting, but I'm sure it means "works with and Verizon LTE-capable handset".

I too was thinking the same thing, VZW to let Any LTE device on there network, "I" didn't see all the moon's align.