[Rumor] Verizon Eliminates Minimum Data Plan Requirement for Motorola Xoom

COBug

Reaction score
Well I got mine on Thursday and I can assure you, I had to pay the monthly and only had the activation fee waived because I know the Verizon feller through working with his brother.

I also only got the $599 price because of the two year service plan. It is $799 without that so I don't understand how you got that price without a plan, Fireball.

I'm a little confused here. So, you DID want the data plan (at all?) and just wanted the activation fee waived? I spent 30 minutes with a verizon rep on the online chat, who after some browbeating, relented and admitted that this option is perfectly viable (Not activating data at all). I was fairly disgusted at this point and reported that I won't need anything and moved on, very politely.

I think the best way to manage all of these situations might be to order from Motorola.com or go to Best Buy, because these Verizon folks are working their angles every which way but LOOSE. It's a little disturbing that the fine folks at Verizon are trying to essentially scam anybody trying to purchase this thing.

People are saying that we, in the States, will NEVER get the WiFi version because of contractual obligations to Verizon. Guess it's waiting for the Flyer, the Samsung Tab II, or the LG tablet for me. Anybody else planning on waiting?

Fireball

Reaction score
Well I got mine on Thursday and I can assure you, I had to pay the monthly and only had the activation fee waived because I know the Verizon feller through working with his brother.

I also only got the $599 price because of the two year service plan. It is $799 without that so I don't understand how you got that price without a plan, Fireball.

I'm a little confused here. So, you DID want the data plan (at all?) and just wanted the activation fee waived? I spent 30 minutes with a verizon rep on the online chat, who after some browbeating, relented and admitted that this option is perfectly viable (Not activating data at all). I was fairly disgusted at this point and reported that I won't need anything and moved on, very politely.

I think the best way to manage all of these situations might be to order from Motorola.com or go to Best Buy, because these Verizon folks are working their angles every which way but LOOSE. It's a little disturbing that the fine folks at Verizon are trying to essentially scam anybody trying to purchase this thing.

People are saying that we, in the States, will NEVER get the WiFi version because of contractual obligations to Verizon. Guess it's waiting for the Flyer, the Samsung Tab II, or the LG tablet for me. Anybody else planning on waiting?

well i kind of do not understand if you want the Wifi version of the XOOM their $799 are you wanting to get the WIFI version for $599 without the Data Plan

Yes it is what i wanted i actuelly already had ordered a My WIFI 2200 Device and was going to do a month to month service but when this XOOM came out on the market I wanted to Buy it.

I wanted a Data Plan and when But i didnt want to Pay for 2 plans when i only needed one of them.

Any way i am trying to answer your question i have seen these XOOM's on e bay sell for arount $650 or soo without the Plan.

COBug

Reaction score
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for explaining that.

I think the Xoom is a bit pricey but I DO want to be 3G/4G enabled. Obviously torn, but I think that I'll wait it out a bit. I did try out the Xoom and found that it was a dramatic improvement over the Galaxy tab, only a little disappointed with its weight. As far as I know, with my unlimited Data plan on my original moto droid, rooted with wifi tethering, I should probably stick with the wifi only version, if it really is ever released in the states. Thanks Fireball.