[Rumor] Specs of Next-Gen Nexus 7 Tablet Outed; Snapdragon S4 Pro, Android 4.3 & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus_7-shiny-gaming.jpg

We have another bit of intel from an "analyst" in the mobile industry. As usual, feel free to be skeptical of this news. Supposedly, this analyst was privy to the new specs of the next-generation Google Nexus 7 Android tablet. Here's what was "revealed,"
  • 7-inch LTPS display with 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA) resolution
  • quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor (APQ8064)
  • 5-megapixel camera
  • HD front-facing camera
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth
  • NFC
  • 4000mAh battery with Qi wireless charging support
  • Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
These specs are pretty enticing, especially considering the tablet is supposedly going to stay at its $199.99 price-point. There may be some credibility to this info, as it very closely jibes with earlier rumors regarding the device. As you can see, this new version will come sans NVIDIA hardware in the next go-around assuming this rumor turns out to be true. It will also come with an upgraded screen and the Android 4.3 version we have seen rumored for the past week or so. Finally, it's also interesting to see the added rear camera and wireless Qi charging support. Overall this new Nexus 7 is turning out to be a hardcore competitor.

As an interesting sidenote, this story came with some additional intel. Supposedly, Google will sell this device at about a $5-10 dollar loss when it hits the Google Play Store. Unfortunately we have no idea when that will be, although Google I/O next week should clear that up.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via AndroidAuthority

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If this thing has 2GB of RAM I am going to have to pull the trigger on it.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I wonder what the price will be. If they can keep it the same as the first nexus 7, I'll pass my current one to my kids and maybe grab one for myself. My kids always want on my tablet and its a great reward for them to play on it (they're young still) and i hate having to hunt it down after they use it. Then again, money is tight so I may have to wait a long while before I think about it =D.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Guess we'll know for sure in about a week. I'm in for one, though the estimated July ship date is kind of disappointing. Announce May, ship July...? I dunno, sounds a bit fishy. My fingers are crossed that the July date is just a PR floater to compensate for (a) the insane demand and early sell-outs they saw with the first N7, and (b) any last-minute manufacturing issues. If I could get in line, push the buy button at $199, and get a device guaranteed on time I would definitely live with a 2-month wait.

-Matt

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I really hope it's just a rumor. The S4 Pro is old news, even though the Snapdragon 600 is just an S4 Pro on roids.

Personally I want to see the Tegra 4 in the new N7 tablet. I love Nvidia's approach of the 4+1 core design, and I'm really excited to see just how much further games and other high end hardware stressing programs stack up to the "next gen" processors like the Tegra 4, Snapdragon 800, and Exynos 5.

It's pretty amazing how each generation of Android devices nearly double in hardware power every 9 or so months. My current N7 is more powerful than the notebook PC I bought back in late 2005.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Interesting they stepped away from Tegra, it's a fantastic chip in the current N7.