[Rumor] OUYA Could End Up Getting Some Huge Backing and Become an Amazon Exclusive

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ouya-amazon.png

Just last year, developers of the OUYA Android gaming console raised $8.6 million on KickStarter to "kick start" their dream of dominating our living rooms with Android gaming goodness. Some new rumors suggest they might end up getting even bigger backing than that. According to the latest intel, Amazon is actively courting OUYA to become an exclusive Amazon product.

If this intel turns out to be true, it would probably not be surprising and would likely be a huge boon for both companies. For OUYA, it would give them some seriously powerful investment backing, and it would give them one of the most solid distribution channels on the planet. For Amazon, it would help them break into the console gaming market in a relatively inexpensive way, and continue to grow their massive media distribution empire.

What do you guys think? Would an OUYA partnership with Amazon be a good thing for the console, or would it make you less apt to buy it?

Be sure to check out our dedicated sister-site @ OUYAForums.com, to check out all the cool discussions for this exciting new platform!

Source: OUYAForums via Fudzilla

J

JohnDroid

I think it would be a good relationship. Amazon knows how to do their own App store, so they could do one just for Ouya games. They could definitely help them market it and get some publisher attention.

Win/Win!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I wouldn't buy one then. I have no issue with Amazon's AppStore but its annoying to use. The PlayStore auto updates but the Amazon one needs to be manually updated every time. It doesn't tell you about updates unless you go look for them. I have lots of apps purchased from the Play Store that I have no intention of having to rebuy to use it on that device. That is however just me. But I know a lot of Android users that don't even know about the Amazon AppStore. If it becomes an exclusive to Amazon and only their AppStore, I think it may hurt them a bit.

jayman350

Reaction score
I agree with johnomaz, the Amazon appstore isn't terrible but it is far from great. If this were to be an amazon exclusive then Amazon would really need to step up their game, they are consistently 1 or 2 releases behind most apps/games.

I used to grab the FAOTD from Amazon until the quality of the free apps declined. I now have maybe two or three apps associated w/ the appstore, got sick of waiting for updates on everything else and ended up buying the google play versions.