[Rumor] New Toshiba Honeycomb Tablet May be Called the 'Antares'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
toshiba-tablet3.jpg

A dutch website that did some reporting from MWC this year, and they seem to indicate that NVIDIA may have accidentally 'leaked' the name of the interesting looking Toshiba android 3.0 Tablet. Supposedly, it will be called 'Antares'. The skinny is that NVIDIA was demonstrating a prototype of the tablet. In the "About phone" section of the Settings app, the tablet listed "Antares" as its model number. Obviously, a model number and an actual product name aren't exactly the same thing; however, this seems like a pretty slick name for a competitive Android tablet. It could just be the internal 'codename', like 'honeycomb' or 'gingerbread', because earlier we reported a previous rumor that the tablet will be called 'The Folio'. Hmmm... we will have to wait and see.

Personally, I'm more excited about this tablet than any other that has been announced. It's specs seem impressive and solid, and I love Toshiba's sense of humor about Apple's fight with Adobe Flash. As has been said in the forums, if their pricing is competitive, this puppy could just be a 'sleeper' hit.

Source: Android.net via AndroidPolice and Tabletguide.nl

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Its specs are the exact same as the other tablets so I'm not sure why you're impressed by them. The reality is that basically all the tablets are the exact same except for maybe the screen size and whether or not they have a usb port so pretty much the only difference is going to be price and release date. By time this is released the prices on the other ones may have even dropped. Just my .02

DarkJeckyll

Reaction score
This is the only one I've seen with a removable back and battery. To me that's an awesome feature.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Say what you will, I like Toshiba's laptops, for them to start making an Android tablet, well I'm looking forward to seeing this as well.

Because its a Toshiba, we can probably expect it to be at Best Buy and the like..

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I also like Toshiba's laptops and there is a better chance that their tab isn't locked down like the moto's are so for me that is a huge plus...

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I don't believe the Xoom is locked down, and it's also stock Honeycomb. I just really don't see much differentiation here is all that I'm saying.