[Rumor] Motorola Will Announce an Edge-to-Edge Display Phone on September 5th

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola-logo.jpeg

We've been sharing with you guys for weeks now that Motorola and Verizon are going to have a press event on September 5th with a big announcement of some kind. Most of the industry intel and speculation suggets that the Motorola Droid RAZR HD will be the announced device. Today we have a new rumor from Bloomberg, and this one adds some intriguing fuel to the fire. Supposedly, Moto is all set to announce an "edge-to-edge" display device. Here's a quote with some additional detail,

The phone would be the most high-profile product debut for Motorola Mobility since the company was purchased by Google for about $12.5 billion. The model also would be one of the first full-screen phones in the U.S., meaning it uses the entire front of the device as a display. The approach maximizes the screen viewing space by eliminating the black frames or bezels around the display.

Many manufacturers from Sony to Samsung have teased that they would bring true edge-to-edge display tech to phones, and Samsung's newest SGS3 comes darn close. Could Motorola really beat everyone to the punch with the real thing?

Source: Bloomberg

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't want a bezelless device.

I already can barely pass my phone to someone else to show them something without them accidentally changing the display by accidentally touching it.

Frankly, I don't see the point of edge-to-edge display on a device meant to be held in the hand.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
could .... but we will know for sure tomorrow.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it would be cool. i would consider paying retail for it. if unlocked bootloader etc...

armeddroid

Reaction score
Subscribed.
I want to know more about this device.
Between this and the Razr HD, and the new LG?
Very curious.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Moto doesn't even know what that means anymore!

Motorola is off the hook and they are loving it. Vzw has shown their backsides on this one. Vzw is the culprit.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I want to see how this would look. It may be possible to create active and non active touch points on the device, while still maintaining a bezeless architecture.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I don't want a bezelless device.

I already can barely pass my phone to someone else to show them something without them accidentally changing the display by accidentally touching it.

Frankly, I don't see the point of edge-to-edge display on a device meant to be held in the hand.
I'm sure they have taken into account this potential problem. Will be interesting to see how they handle that if in fact the rumor is correct

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Come on Moto.... impress us.. or depress us... I hope its not the latter.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I've been hoping for this for quite a while (along with a pro-brand camera sensor such as Nikon/Cannon)... A bezel-less display I think could look sleek, as long as they do it right. Hope it comes with an unlocked bootloader too, otherwise that balloon just got popped.

swc2001

Reaction score
Wow!! thats going to make it Tricky for the Otter Box Engineers. LOL

52brandon

Reaction score
I want to see how this would look. It may be possible to create active and non active touch points on the device, while still maintaining a bezeless architecture.
was thinking the exact same. I don't grab my phone by the screen anyways though, so even if not, I would have no problem with the device. My only problem is the bootloader :angry:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I might have mentioned this already..

I think a bezel less phone can give us a technically bigger screen without making the phone bigger.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Come on Moto.... impress us.. or depress us... I hope its not the latter.

Lol like. Yeah moto has some heat competing against Samsung s3, HTC, and apple. They really should make this unlockable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2