[Rumor] Motorola & Google Working On a Project Called 'X Phone'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-logo-black-and-red-3d.jpg

The Wall Street Journal just reported an interesting bit of "rumint." Supposedly, Google and Motorola are poised to bring out their first big collaborative smartphone project sometime next year, and it is currently called "X Phone." Their intention is for Motorola to bring forth a truly competitive device to directly challenge the huge market lead that Apple and Samsung currently hold. Supposedly, Motorola is looking to build the phone out of some fairly exotic materials, including ceramic materials and flexible display tech. Additionally they want this new "X Phone" to be available in unusual shapes and colors, and to be more resistant to physical damage. Apparently, they also plan to include a vastly improved camera technology, which would be a welcome change.

One final sidenote tidbit: The WSJ article also suggested Motorola will also bring out an "X Tablet" sometime after the "X Phone." Of course, these could just be internal codenames, but we wouldn't be disappointed if this was the final naming convention.

What do you think of this new rumor? Besides sounding like some geek-toy straight out of a "Speed Racer" reboot, could this finally be the Moto Nexus we have longed for? Please share your wildest speculations in the thread.

Source: WSJ

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I hope they leave the name as is. X Phone just sounds awesome. Great rumor, very exciting.

Reaction score
That does sound awesome! I know across seas they did make a Razr X that wouldn't come to the US. :(

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That's awesome.. I hope Moto does innovate.. god knows they've been phoning it in for the last few years...:blink:

OnMy2ndGP

Reaction score
Phone X does sound good. I'm bias towards X names, read my sig lol.

DX on CM4DX-GB via Tapatalk 2 + SwiftKey Flow beta

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Phone shaped like an X. Make it happen! Could double as a ninja star! :D

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Supposedly, Motorola is looking to build the phone out of some fairly exotic materials, including ceramic materials and flexible display tech. Additionally they want this new "X Phone" to be available in unusual shapes and colors, and to be more resistant to physical damage. Apparently, they also plan to include a vastly improved camera technology, which would be a welcome change.

Sounds like Scully and Mulder were in on the design team ... Given Moto's usual build quality, this would be exciting. I would hope that it will be part of the Nexus family for those who would care to root and rom without a lot of trouble.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
How 'bout "xPhone" LOL! Take that on the chin, Apple!!

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Its going to be hard to beat the note 2 but im looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

sent from my vzw galaxy note 2

konsciousk

Reaction score
Looks like the 2nd coming of the OG Droid! If they play their cards right, this phone could be awesome indeed.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder what carriers would take it, since Moto actually KNOWS how to make a CDMA radio.