[Rumor] ICS update comes with patch to unlock boot loader?

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I called moto about why they locked the boot loaders on the phones just out of curiosity an the tech said that he heard that the ICS update will come with a mandatory patch for unlocking the boot loader per Google's request. But he said don't quote him on it cuz as for now its a rumor floating around moto techs at the moment. so what are ur guys thoughts on this?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
That would be cool....and I am not trying to be a jerk, but I don't know how many times to say this. Don't listen or speculate on anything a Moto or VZW tech or Rep tells you. They lie, to protect their image. It may very well be true, but I wouldn't speculate on it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
That would be cool....and I am not trying to be a jerk, but I don't know how many times to say this. Don't listen or speculate on anything a

Yeah I learned my lesson after the .894 an ics feasco so now anytime I hear things from moto or VZW I will put [ rumor] in the title

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
...but if it is true and it gets unlocked, I hope developers return to the Bionic and we get some custom kernels.

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
...but if it is true and it gets unlocked, I hope developers return to the Bionic and we get some custom kernels.

Did the devs really drop the bionic cuz of the locked boot loader issue?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think in part maybe, but I think the main reason they left was because they jumped to the latest and great phones, mainly the Nexus. Who knows, maybe the Liberty devs will come back with a rom, but I think they are on the Gnex now. I think Theory are pretty much gone. Nitro is still around, and Hashcode said he is working on ICS CM7...so things may look up. It may just be a slow time right now.

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think in part maybe, but I think the main reason they left was because they jumped to the latest and great phones, mainly the Nexus. Who knows, maybe the Liberty devs will come back with a rom, but I think they are on the Gnex now. I think Theory are pretty much gone. Nitro is still around, and Hashcode said he is working on ICS CM7...so things may look up. It may just be a slow time right now.

Yeah it kinda sucks when ur phone hits a stagnate period but maybe once ICS hits this phone it will light up with a Xmas tree but we can only hope right

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score

One thing that has me confused does Google even have the power to request a mandatory patch to unlock the boot loaders?

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
One thing that has me confused does Google even have the power to request a mandatory patch to unlock the boot loaders?

They can tell moto to do whatever they want if they own them. :)

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
They can tell moto to do whatever they want if they own them. :)

But has Google already acquired motor with out us knowing an if they have does that mean all future motor phones will have unlocked boot loaders with Google in charge?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not sure. If the Google takeover goes through they could, but it hasn't yet. Also it may bring up legal issues between Google and Verizon if Google doesn't run it by VZW first. I don't know if Verizon has the right to require a bootloader to be locked on a phone on their network, I think they do though.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Even if the patch is just ICS with some Moto twist (and no unlock action), I bet it will be pretty sweet. Even if the roms are few and far between, ICS is great stock!

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not sure. If the Google takeover goes through they could, but it hasn't yet. Also it may bring up legal issues between Google and Verizon if Google doesn't run it by VZW first. I don't know if Verizon has the right to require a bootloader to be locked on a phone on their network, I think they do though.

What threat does an unlocked boot loader have that VZW would require it to be locked?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
What threat does an unlocked boot loader have that VZW would require it to be locked?

If it is unlocked a kernel that is unapproved for their network could be run, which they can say would cause issue. But I don't really know what Verizon has to gain at this point, since rooting and tethering is already pretty easy with the bootloader locked.

Either way like tgyberg said above, ICS will be cool even if the bootloader is still encrypted.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
If it is unlocked a kernel that is unapproved for their network could be run, which they can say would cause issue. But I don't really know what Verizon has to gain at this point, since rooting and tethering is already pretty easy with the bootloader locked.

Either way like tgyberg said above, ICS will be cool even if the bootloader is still encrypted.

Mbm has found a way around the bootloader and load custom kernals.. wont be long now. Be patient. Thread is on xda. Check it. ;)