[Rumor] Galaxy S5 Camera's New 6-Lens Optics Causing Production Problems

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-g5-camera-optics-problems.jpg

If this rumor is true, it's probable that Samsung's newest flagship the Galaxy S5 will experience some production hiccups when it launches in April. According to the latest intel, the new camera in the Galaxy S5 includes improved 6-lens optics. These optics are supposedly giving the assemblers problems. Here's a quote with a few more details,

This new 6-element lens requires fitting into the same camera lens as before. The issue here is the molding of the optics to be precisely centered. As an industry insider put it:

“On a thin lens, even the slightest flaw results in a considerable optical distortion. To make plastic lens thinner, a more accurate mold technology is necessary.”

The mold is made internally and then sent to the lens suppliers who then apply the injection tech. However, while they’re more skilled at doing so, they’re struggling with the level of precision required. Samsung was expected to reach full capacity next month, but current numbers of the lens production have it pegged at 20 to 30 percent.

It's hard to say just how much production will be affected by this. Of course, Samsung has a few weeks to nail things down, so it's possible there won't be too much of an issue. It seems as if every new launch of the Galaxy S series is met with some issue which causes production delays/shortages.

Source: TalkAndroid

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I wonder what mechanism is used to hold the sandwiched lenses, or are they stacked and hermetically sealed to the corresponding lenses so the overall length is minimized?
I would love to see the final version of the lens assembly.
No matter the cost, I will always prefer lenses made with optical glass above any out of plastic.
Plastic is too easily damaged by simple scratches and rubs, making the image useless.

And as an update...Our move back to AZ. is complete, and we are settling in finally.....YIPPEE!