[Rumor] Cyanogenmod Turns Down Google Buyout Offer; Seeks $1 Billion Investor Funding

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cyanogenmod-cid-mascot.jpg

According to the latest intel, Google’s Sundar Pichai had a meeting with Cyanogen Inc executives recently. supposedly they were trying to work out a possible Google acquisition of the popular Android mod and its team. Additionally, it appears that the CM team turned Google down, and is instead planning to seek $1 Billion in Series C funding from a few investors and tech firms.

Besides the obvious value of the software and the skills of its developers, there is another reason Google may have been interested in a Cyanogenmod buyout, and it is also the likely reason that the CM team thinks they can get that much investor funding. The Cyanogenmod version of Android could be a decent competitor to stock Android. It's possible that the company will get funding from several sources who plan to use the CM ROM as the default OS of choice for their devices.

What do you think if this is true? Should the CM team have negotiated a deal with Google or is forging ahead on their own the better course?

Source: The Information

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, that valuation is crazy. You know how the saying goes.. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
"Several potential investors involved in those talks say the company’s chief executive disclosed to existing shareholders that Sundar Pichai, who oversees Google’s Android team, expressed interest in acquiring the firm during a recent meeting with Cyanogen’s leadership."

Google hasn't confirmed this and right now its just the CEO telling other investors in private Google was looking to buy them. IMO, its a ploy to get investors more interested because you know, if Google is interested in something it has to be good. Until Google confirms this, I don't believe it and the evaluation is ridiculous.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which is why I reported it as rumor... ;)

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Just giving my usual .02¢
For sure! I only meant that I spotted what you were saying and concur with you about that possibility. It wouldn't surprise me if your assessment turns out to be true.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is nothing new, many companies do this to build up their supposed value before selling to the highest bidder.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
A Billion is not out of reach for Google. They knowingly over paid on the Moto deal.

I would think it's a rumor, but could be a first round discussion

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I haven't used Cyanogen in a very long time. I think the S3 was the last phone I ran it on, but couldn't get into it. I have it on the good old HP TouchPad still. I liked that their firmwares were so small in size, but there was always a catch to using it. Either this didn't work or that didn't work so I gave up on it.

Last edited:

t3charmy

Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
Been running Cyanogenmod for almost 4-5 years now, ran it first on my Evo 4G, then my Evo 4G LTE, and now my Note 3(rooted 3 weeks after I got it..)...besides the occasional reboot due to Bluetooth which is currently being worked on... I've had no issues.

jaytk70

Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
It's not a billon that's be offered for them, this is the investment they are supposed to be seeking after turning Google down, allegedly.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I was never really a fan of CM simply because you were constantly required to flash a nightly update and there were always Bluetooth, camera or tether issues. Of course it's been well over a year since my last experience with them, I'm sure they've improved. Overall, they offered an amazingly customizable rom.

tap'n on my S5

zealot910

Reaction score
Wow, that valuation is crazy. You know how the saying goes.. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
There's no birds in the bush! That's a monkey in the bush. Good luck and I hope they get the funding they need. But if it were me I would have sold out and started to buy land in China with that windfall of cash.
cyanogenmod-cid-mascot.jpg

According to the latest intel, Google’s Sundar Pichai had a meeting with Cyanogen Inc executives recently. supposedly they were trying to work out a possible Google acquisition of the popular Android mod and its team. Additionally, it appears that the CM team turned Google down, and is instead planning to seek $1 Billion in Series C funding from a few investors and tech firms.

Besides the obvious value of the software and the skills of its developers, there is another reason Google may have been interested in a Cyanogenmod buyout, and it is also the likely reason that the CM team thinks they can get that much investor funding. The Cyanogenmod version of Android could be a decent competitor to stock Android. It's possible that the company will get funding from several sources who plan to use the CM ROM as the default OS of choice for their devices.

What do you think if this is true? Should the CM team have negotiated a deal with Google or is forging ahead on their own the better course?

Source: The Information
I bet Pichai won't let this slip through Google's hand. They will offer more!

edmurray06

Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
I love the look and feel of cyanogenmod. If they could support some of the more advanced features of our phone's, I'd have it on my Note3 Verizon. I had it on my Tmobile Note3 and currently run CarbonKk on my S3, Which is based on CM10. It kind of feels like I'm wasting features to use it on my $700.00 flagship though. I hope they get the funding they need. Maybe it would solve that problem.