[Rumor] Cyanogenmod Turns Down Google Buyout Offer; Seeks $1 Billion Investor Funding

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a tough time understanding how Cyanogen turned that down. It could potentially be worth that, even much more, if if if - so many ifs it's almost fantasy. The problem with that business model is it's not just OEM's they have to convince to use their software, it's the carriers like VZW, ,AT&T, etc....in other words, a real long shot.

Nor do I understand why Google would offer that. MS and even Apple have been known to overpay to scoop up a competitor (no matter how unlikely). I just don't see it. Cyanogen still uses "open source" Android, so I'm not sure what threat they pose to the Google model even if they gained a sizeable install base.

More than likely this whole "rumor" is intended to build hype and buzz while they seek out investors to give them $1B.

blueoval50

Reaction score
cyanogenmod-cid-mascot.jpg

According to the latest intel, Google’s Sundar Pichai had a meeting with Cyanogen Inc executives recently. supposedly they were trying to work out a possible Google acquisition of the popular Android mod and its team. Additionally, it appears that the CM team turned Google down, and is instead planning to seek $1 Billion in Series C funding from a few investors and tech firms.

Besides the obvious value of the software and the skills of its developers, there is another reason Google may have been interested in a Cyanogenmod buyout, and it is also the likely reason that the CM team thinks they can get that much investor funding. The Cyanogenmod version of Android could be a decent competitor to stock Android. It's possible that the company will get funding from several sources who plan to use the CM ROM as the default OS of choice for their devices.

What do you think if this is true? Should the CM team have negotiated a deal with Google or is forging ahead on their own the better course?

Source: The Information
Keep forging ahead CM and best of luck in your endeavors.

jayzero

Reaction score
We all benefit from it. I am falling in love with the OS.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, don't sell out. CM will get bought out, and run into the ground in favor of big business via Google.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
While I don't think they'll get run into the ground, there's no doubt there would be changes in what CM is as a ROM. Yes, they'd be able to get support directly from Google, but Google would also have a say in the direction they go and what they offer. Cash-wise, a hard deal to pass up, but some of the CM team left for this very reason when CM started to monetize itself not too long ago, and it seems even those who are still at the helm have the same fear.

That said, this still sounds a little fishy. Google probably would not have just thrown a number at them; this would have been developing over some time if the talks were in any way serious, and rumors would have leaked before now.