[Rumor] Amazon to Debut Samsung-Built Android Tablet This Summer

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon-tablet-android-samsung.jpg

Peter Rojas, the founder of Engadget, recently made the following statement in an article regarding some inside 'intel' he received,
It's something of an open secret that Amazon is working on an Android tablet and I am 99 percent certain they are having Samsung build one for them.
Interestingly, the article goes on to present the theory that Amazon will soon be the greatest competitive challenger to Apple's iPad, beyond any other tablet maker in the industry. The story points out that with Amazon's ecosystem of downloadable content including downloadable and streaming music, videos, books, and apps, they are the real force to be reckoned with in the future of tablets.

The logic is sound. After-all, it's never really a piece of hardware that wins hardware wars. It's always a "killer app" that brings a particular piece of hardware to the forefront because everyone wants to use that particular functionality. If they can price their Android tablet aggressively enough, say around $250 - $300 bucks, it will utterly dominate the market, because it will take tablets out of the "whiz-bang toy" segment, and into the "must-have, general-use tool" category.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via Engadget and GDGT

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I hope this is true, because even if you don't plan on buying an Amazon tablet, this is good news for the entire Android ecosystem.

sidsixseven

Reaction score
$250 - $300 bucks? No way. Not when the Kindle DX is currently priced at $379. I recognize that's only an eReader but the non-technical Amazon "customers" are going to draw that comparison.

If true, I would fully expect a $399-$499 price point with a "bigger" version priced at the $599 price point.

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
I was extremely tempted to purchase the XOOM while at a VZW store last week, but the price tag plus anticipation of new models being released this summer, prevented me from actually getting it. This Amazon device made by Samsung, may be well worth the wait!!

Josefius

Reaction score
I can't see getting a tablet, I have my Droid and a Kindle. Why get a tablet? I prefer e-ink technology over a back lit screen for long reading.

magdream

Reaction score
Back in Jan or Feb, I was on a subway and noticed someone with a kindle and had an idea. Amazon should release a combo kindle/android pad. I thought of the samsung galaxy tab since the 2 devices are similar in size. 1 side propriertary kindle screen, the other pure android. Have a cover type thingy that would flip and protect the unused screen while keeping it in standby mode. Any books purchased via the browser would automatically be saved on the kindle side.