[Rumor] Amazon Android Tablets Coming Aug/Sept Timeframe Using TI Chips, Not NVIDIA

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon-devices-aug-sept.png

Some industry intel reported by DigiTimes suggests that Amazon will be ready to launch their Android Tablets in an August/September timeframe. Also according to the source, Amazon will be using Texas Instrument's chips in their tablets, instead of the Tegra series from NVIDIA.

Apparently, one of the big reasons that Amazon wants to hit around August or September is "to meet the peak sales period prior to Thanksgiving in the US and the year-end holidays in the US and Europe". Further, the reason that Amazon chose the TI chipset over NVIDIA's is because Amazon intends to offer streaming movie services for owners of its Tablets, and supposedly the TI chip handles streaming video better.

Be sure to check out our dedicated thread for Amazon Tablets over @AndroidTablets.net!

Source: AndroidTablets.net and DigiTimes

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I think NVidia may be to blame for the very high cost for tablets that have the Tegra2 chip in them. Lets face it, NVidia has been making video cards for a long time and are betting on the tablet market to take of in terms of gaming. TI however is betting on making fast chips that do ok with gaming but make the phone/tablet fly.

That however is my own opinion, no real proof of any of it. I mean, i am obviously a market analyst and know everything about this kind of thing.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. So this could be the reason for the switch from Tegra 2 to T.I. for Motorola.

And ppl complained about Moto delaying the Bionic. Seems to me they want the best phone possible on Verizon. I say good job Moto.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea...I hear some ppl are having issues. With Froyo on my Droid 1, Froyo on my DX1, GB on my DX1 I have yet to have any serious issues.

There were ppl that complained that it was a disaster in each instance. I guess I'm in that lucky group.