rubiX on Gingerbread

Reaction score
First, just to make something clear, I'm not looking for a time line for a Gingerbread release of rubiX. Drod does great work and he does it in his own time and I completely respect that.

I'm just curious if we might see rubiX on Gingerbread shortly after a release or is it more complicated to get it working?

I know blur is REMOVED from rubiX which makes me think we need to wait until something gets released from moto/vzw.

Just wondering, thanks!

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
First, just to make something clear, I'm not looking for a time line for a Gingerbread release of rubiX. Drod does great work and he does it in his own time and I completely respect that.

I'm just curious if we might see rubiX on Gingerbread shortly after a release or is it more complicated to get it working?

I know blur is REMOVED from rubiX which makes me think we need to wait until something gets released from moto/vzw.

Just wondering, thanks!

Focused is kinda complicated. It's based off the Moto SDK, yet heavily modified. The stock framework can be modified to do the same, but its a lot more time consuming.

Taking Gingerbead and making it work with what we currently have WOULD be possible, but honestly, by the time I personally would have it done, we'd have GB on the X. Once moto releases the GB SDK, I'll have rubiX working, assuming the kernel isn't changed (like 2.6.29 in eclair to 2.6.32 in froyo)

DropC

Reaction score
And if the kernel is changed... :(

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score

I can all but guarantee the kernel will change. You can't make a significant platform upgrade (Froyo to Gingerbread) without updating and re-compiling the kernel.
This happened when we went from Eclair (2.1) to Froyo (2.2). There is no reason not to expect it to happen again on Gingerbread (2.3).

That doesn't mean we can't see a Rubix or any custom Roms. Our limitations have been in the ability to recompile our own kernel. The devs have been very successful at getting control of the /system files and doing wonders with it.

I suppose there is some possibility that Moto will try to close the Root access and/or logwrapper exploits, but I wouldn't think they would be any harder to break than the last go round.

Just my $0.02

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

I can all but guarantee the kernel will change. You can't make a significant platform upgrade (Froyo to Gingerbread) without updating and re-compiling the kernel.
This happened when we went from Eclair (2.1) to Froyo (2.2). There is no reason not to expect it to happen again on Gingerbread (2.3).

That doesn't mean we can't see a Rubix or any custom Roms. Our limitations have been in the ability to recompile our own kernel. The devs have been very successful at getting control of the /system files and doing wonders with it.

I suppose there is some possibility that Moto will try to close the Root access and/or logwrapper exploits, but I wouldn't think they would be any harder to break than the last go round.

Just my $0.02

Not necessarily true. 2.0 to 2.1 did not have a major kernel upgrade.

The reason Froyo could not be flashed from the SDK to OG droid's before the kernel was leaked, was because 1. I don't think anyone knew the capabilities of the SDK and exploiting them, and 2. because when flashing it to our phones, it ran so frigging slow because the kernel was incompatible.

Gingerbread is mostly a UI project, not so much a performance project as 2.2 was (correct me if I'm wrong.. this is just my understanding)

If the kernel receives a massive change, it will be impossible to upgrade to gingerbread until it is either leaked by TBH, or moto unlocks the bootloaders.

OP
digitalslacker
Reaction score
Interesting stuff, So it's technically possible to put stock android on a droid X but it's just easier to let moto get it working and then modify it using their SDK?

Are there any roms out there that are based completely on stock android and don't use the manufactures stuff? or is it just not possible to do that?

Inkarnit

Reaction score
Interesting stuff, So it's technically possible to put stock android on a droid X but it's just easier to let moto get it working and then modify it using their SDK?

Are there any roms out there that are based completely on stock android and don't use the manufactures stuff? or is it just not possible to do that?

Drod is working on getting to the point where he can release an AOSP version of RubiX, which is stock Android.