RSS Reader

pilot25

Reaction score
What do you think the BEST RSS Reader is?

There are a lot of selections but not to many to demo before purchase.

juliem

Reaction score
I'd love suggestions for a good RSS reader as well. I used Viigo on my blackberry, but I don't think they have an Android version available. I did find this old thread on another forum.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
I use NewsRob - the quirk to it is you have to load everything through Google Reader. It does sync up nicely with Google Reader once you set it up though. It has a lot of options for syncing and notification.

Tried BlueRSS for awhile, and it was okay, but didn't have a way to remember feeds if you reset the phone.

roguephoenix

Reaction score
none of the android apps seem to be able to load the full article in the app itself. only option is for you to go to the actual site of the article. on the blackberry's viigo, you can read full articles on the app itself. i miss that app.

AudioCow

Reaction score
When I had my Blackberry Freerange was probably my number 1 app. I set it up to work just like Viigo but without the bloat.

I use NewsRob on my Droid. It requires Google Reader but the only reason I've ever logged on was to subscribe to my feeds.

NewsRob is amazing as long as you take a couple minutes to set it up to your liking, and it does load the full feed in the app itself.

Dandroid247

Reaction score
I personally like FeedR, its a paid app but its been pretty good so far and I came from using Viigo on a BB myself. It allows you to save your feeds to the SD card so you don't have to go back and find them all over again if you have to do a reset or re install the app which is nice. Granted I used the lite version of Viigo so I didn't use all the different categories like traffic, weather, flights, and all that stuff so if you're looking for something that recreates that as well then I dunno.

broosewee

Reaction score
In my limited experience with RSS readers, NewsRob stands out among the free apps. Also, I've only heard positive things about FeedR, which is paid.

zeira

Reaction score
I've also had a good experience with NewsRob. I had to transfer all of my subscriptions from bloglines to google reader, but it was a good time to sift through them.

You can change the options of the feed from Menu -> More -> Manage Feed, and you can pick the options for download.

eNonsense

Reaction score
none of the android apps seem to be able to load the full article in the app itself. only option is for you to go to the actual site of the article. on the blackberry's viigo, you can read full articles on the app itself. i miss that app.

Even most computer based RSS readers have problems with that. There will always be sites where some aspect like a photo or video or formatting is going to come through funky if it comes through at all. It's the compromise you make when using an RSS reader, for the benefits of convenience and speed. Going to the actual site in a web browser is always going to give you the full intended experience.

I messed around with NewsRob a couple days ago. If this is the best Android has to offer I'm probably going to stick with the browser. I don't know if you guys have even checked, but the Google Reader website actually works really well on the Droid (it defaults to a really nice mobile version). Kinda useless for offline reading, but with 3G how often does that happen?

Last edited:

lvlln

Reaction score
NewsRob is excellent, but its killer flaw is that it can't save articles beyond the previous 1000. This is a problem for me because I save articles for later reading by starring them, but only the starred articles from the past 1000 show up. I've inquired the developer about adding the feature to save ALL articles that are starred, but he was very stubborn about it and said that that was a feature he wouldn't add.

So I need to supplement NewsRob with NetaShare, an RSS reader that's almost as good. The problem with NetaShare is that it's extremely slow to sync.