Router Suggestions

ZBacks

Reaction score
I have a Cisco-Linksys E2000 router now and am ready to throw it out the window. It has to be reset all of the time and has very inconsistent speeds when it does work. I'm looking for a new wireless N router that has similar specs to the E2000 but that actually works. Any suggestions?

Mikejl

Reaction score
What mix of B, G, and N do you have in your home. How large is your home? 2 Stories? Do you have the router upstairs or downstairs?

The E2000 will run at 2.4 or 5 GHz so if you are running any B or G you would have to be running it at 2.4 GHz. Your N connection will run at N speeds until a G or B device connects then it will slow to those speeds.

I have have the Cisco E3000 in my computer room downstairs which which runs at both 2.4 and 5 GHz Simultaneously and the E2000 upstairs acting as an extender running at 2.4 GHz.

This setup gives me 2 wireless networks and I haven't had any of the problems you mention. You could do the same thing with just the E3000 if it fits your situation.

Mike

OP
Z

ZBacks

Reaction score
Okay that makes sense, but what would cause the router to not allow devices to connect at random times? Ill have to check my settings but Im almost positive that its running at 2.4. What should my other settings be to maximize the router?

FYI: the devices that use the router are my Laptop, BB Storm, iPhone 3G and XBox 360.

Mikejl

Reaction score
Okay that makes sense, but what would cause the router to not allow devices to connect at random times? Ill have to check my settings but Im almost positive that its running at 2.4. What should my other settings be to maximize the router?

FYI: the devices that use the router are my Laptop, BB Storm, iPhone 3G and XBox 360.
Could be attenuation, the device is too far from the router, In that case an extender would help.

Conflict with a neighbor's router could cause drops or problems connecting. You can try a different channel on your router to fix that. I believe the default is 11.

Make sure the firmware on your router is flashed to the latest revision.

If none of that helps then it could be the router.

Mike

OP
Z

ZBacks

Reaction score
My laptop is only about 20ft max from the router and I just updated the firmware. I guess I will change the channel and see if that works. This is the second router of this model to act like this, so I'm starting to wonder.........

wolfson1

Reaction score
I had all kinds of problems with several E2000's and had to return them all. Out of frustration, I hooked up my backup router, a Linksys WRT150N and suddenly it all worked again. Never looked back. Something to be said for a router with an external antenna, IMHO.

Mikejl

Reaction score
I had all kinds of problems with several E2000's and had to return them all. Out of frustration, I hooked up my backup router, a Linksys WRT150N and suddenly it all worked again. Never looked back. Something to be said for a router with an external antenna, IMHO.
I don't know about the external antenna being much of a plus. I had the Linksys WRT600N and had to power cycle that thing daily in order get connections. It had external antenna's for 2.4 and 5 GHz and dropped connections all the time.

Mike

Redalert

Reaction score
Imho. Router setup, I have the E2000.. have 2 laptops, my droid, (ipod once in a while). Plus my desktop, I have a had droid, the 2 laptops and desktop running multiple nights never had issue just speed threw bands, my laptops are g band, my droid picks up the n band... my droid lightning fast... just my ol buck fiddy...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

R

RETG

I'll throw in for a D-Link N-Router. I have had at least 8 people cranking away at one time on my router a few months ago. And most of them were uploaded photo files to online servers. (I live in one of those places people like to visit, and since I'm a bachelor with a large house, guess where everyone stays.)

Had Linksys a few years back and I always had to reset it at least once or twice a week. My D-link, I reset at least once a month, not because it has to be reset, but because I just do it due to a suggestion from a computer geek I know.dancedroid

maderschramm

Reaction score
buffalo routers are great because they support open-source firmware. Flash linux-based dd-wrt firmware and you'll be GOLDEN.