Roundup of Gingerbread update issues (with solutions where available)

OP
A

Astaroth

Reaction score
I spoke to a level 2 tech at Verizon who said that they are aware of most of these bugs, have passed them on to Motorola, and expect an update in late December.

Skates12

Reaction score
A couple of my home screen icons disappear every time I connect the Pro to my PC to run a backup.

They're still in the app drawer and I can easily re-add them, but it's an annoying quirk that started after GB installed.

One is the Curvefish Traffic Mgr & the other is S/W Data Cable.

rbtnt

Reaction score
I read in the vz community where a vz tech says to fix the keypad back light problem you need to do a hard reset and then take it to a vz store and have them flash the memory.

Has any one tried this and what were the results?

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

mbd4524

Reaction score
Anybody find that their emails are coming in much slower now?

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

jillybeanbrooks

Reaction score
I was having an issue with an old phone and took it into verizon where they told me that it was an issue with an app being corrupted. This happened about 2 weeks after the GB update. I got a new phone, didnt install any apps, and after about 2 weeks, had the problem. Reset the phone, same thing after about 2 weeks. I'm running on about 2 weeks again, and here we are back having the same issue.

The issue is: I'll be in the middle of texting someone and the keyboard freezes (or the typing). I'll wait for it to give me the option to force close and I can send about 3 more texts...same thing again. If I had left the predictive text at the bottom, it would stick on the screen and wouldnt go away until I restarted the phone. I finally got rid of the predictive text so that it wouldnt stick on the bottom of the screen. Verizon has given me about 3 or 4 different reasons that it would be doing this and NONE of them fix my problem. Their resolution: We'll order you another phone. So, I guess I'll reset my phone every 2 weeks and deal with it :/

The other problem just started during the past week. Reset my phone and here it is (which is basically just like JUST getting the GB update fresh, right?). The battery is draining FAST. Its set to CDMA. I went to the battery usage and looked, it shows the multi touch keyboard is what is draining my battery, using over 40%. I cant seem to stop it at all.

Does anyone know why I cannot "paste from clipboard" anymore? Before the update, i was able to paste from clipboard into a text message. Now I just get a pop up that says "multi touch keyboard" instead of options. Fix on this?

paradime313

Reaction score
The issue is: I'll be in the middle of texting someone and the keyboard freezes (or the typing). I'll wait for it to give me the option to force close and I can send about 3 more texts...same thing again. If I had left the predictive text at the bottom, it would stick on the screen and wouldnt go away until I restarted the phone. I finally got rid of the predictive text so that it wouldnt stick on the bottom of the screen. Verizon has given me about 3 or 4 different reasons that it would be doing this and NONE of them fix my problem. Their resolution: We'll order you another phone. So, I guess I'll reset my phone every 2 weeks and deal with it :/

I should have read this before making my thread. Same exact thing is happening to me. The freezing, the force close, the predictive text, all of it. I also turned off my predictive text. I guess I will take my phone into a Verizon and see what I can find out, or get a new one, etc.

jillybeanbrooks

Reaction score
paradime, let me know if the verizon sales people in your area are smarter than the ones in mine. (this is the ONLY thing I miss about sprint, they actually had techs in corporate stores) I have found a small resolution to my problems, but it requires work. I have gone into my task manager and killed ALL apps (even the ones that say not running). Then, i go to applications and manage running apps. I kill all of those, then switch over to cached apps and kill all of those. Then, I go to ALL apps, and force close all of those. now, everything seems to be working fine for the past 3 days...but i'm having to reopen everything, such as my email, that is no longer coming in. Had to go in and restart the programs I need to use and have yet to restart anything extra, except my email.

Asbury Juke

Reaction score
I should have read this before making my thread. Same exact thing is happening to me. The freezing, the force close, the predictive text, all of it. I also turned off my predictive text. I guess I will take my phone into a Verizon and see what I can find out, or get a new one, etc.

Paradime, my advice is don't bother with the Verizon store. I had a problem with backup sync and brought it to the store twice. Twice the tech did a series of google searches (that I had already done myself) which did zero to fix the problem. Her big recommendation was to go to Radio Shack and buy a card reader to backup my photos, then do a factory reset. I then called 611 help and got to a level 2 tech who also couldn't help. Total time spent was more than 2 hours between the 3 visits/calls. I called 611 a week later and got a different tech who fixed the problem in 3 minutes. The people at 611 will tell you the "techs" at the store are really just sales people. When I first got the droid last year I had problems with the screen freezing. 3 trips to the store before I finally convinced them it must be the phone, so they gave me a replacemene and problem solved.

Unrelated to Droids, I twice have taken my son's phone in for problems and they told me to make an insurance claim, which I did, only to be advised by the insurance company that the problem was covered under warranty, not insurance. So, twice I called Verizon and got replacement phones. When I asked the rep on the phone if this could have been done in the store he told me it could. When I asked him why it wasn't, he apologized for not having an explanation.

My opinion? I like the Verizon products and coverage, but their in store people are neither knowledgeable nor helpful. It's a good thing they have decent people when you call in with a problem.

Asbury Juke

Reaction score
OK, so technically this isn't a solution, it's more of a report.

As of a couple of days ago, my dashboard bluetooth started working properly again. I didn't do anything, the calls just started going through the first time. Also, my personal ring tones started working, except that I had to re-assign the tones to the particular callers.

Still no solution on my slide lock that disappeared.

jillybeanbrooks

Reaction score
Kinda an update on my issue. I went to the store and advised them AGAIN that I was having problems with my text messaging....and then everything else, freezing up, yet again. They ordered me another warranty replacement. This particular phone has a pixel missing..but whatever. I think I'll try to stay with this phone until I cant stand it anymore, and just leave verizon, go to prepaid or something. I'm just frustrated, had it about 8 months and have had about 3 or 4 replacements. Here's the deal. I have heard about 2 million (sarcasm) different reasons that the texts are freezing, causing me to force close, then everything else starts freezing, causing me to force close. The first one, IMO, was the best one (an app might be corrupt and causing it to do that). SO, this phone. I did NOT put my facebook account, or email accounts, on my phone. The only thing I have going on, is text from facebook. I did not download ANY additional apps. I updated the ones it wanted me to, and I havent used it for anything but calls/texts/web browsing. And wouldnt you know...almost 2 weeks later, as with EVERY replacement phone I have had, I'm having the freezing issue again. Its always 2 weeks, approx. I can do a factory reset...and in 2 weeks, same thing. I just dont get it. And its ever since this stupid update.