Roundup of Gingerbread update issues (with solutions where available)

Astaroth

Reaction score
Post more issues here and the solution if you know it. I want to keep this to issues that everyone (or mostly everyone) is having.

- 3G bars in the notification area inexplicably change between white and blue, Moto needs to tell us what this means.

- After losing reception, phone switches to Global mode, thus dramatically reducing battery life, even if you had manually set it to CDMA-only. Sometimes you receive the prompt asking you if you would like to switch to Global mode and you can say "cancel" (but checking "do not ask me again" does nothing), but sometimes you don't receive that prompt and it just switches to Global.

- Keyboard backlight randomly turns off, even while typing.

- Desktop panel quick-scroll feature has been removed.

- After a soft reset, the notification LED blinks green even though there are no notifications. It only blinks when the screen is locked, it stops when you wake the phone. This stops after you get a real notification.

- Texts are sometimes received in duplicate despite being sent once (try sending yourself a text).

- Hitting spacebar twice inserts a predicted word.
SOLUTION: Settings -> language and keyboard -> multi-touch keyboard -> un-check 'next word prediction' at the bottom.

- In the email or texting apps, the suggestion ribbon appears under the text input box even before you start typing, so if you want to back out of that screen, you have to hit back one additional time in order to back out of the suggestion ribbon. You should not need to back out of the suggestion ribbon, and it shouldn't appear before you start typing.
SOLUTION: You can disable "show suggestions" in keyboard settings, but you lose some functionality. You can still add words to dictionary if you longpress the text box right after typing the word.

- While typing with autocorrect enabled, before the update, if you typed a word that wasn't in the dictionary and had it autocorrected to something else but didn't want to bother adding it to the dictionary, you could just hit backspace once to bring back your word, and then just keep on typing and it would just leave it highlighted red. What happens now is that there is no way to leave the "incorrect" word and carry on, you have to either accept the autocorrect, or add it to the dictionary.

- There is a "Device keyboard" submenu within "Settings -> language and keyboard -> multi-touch keyboard", in addition to the "Built-in keyboard" menu found on the same level as "multi-touch keyboard". Both seem to control the same thing but offer different options, these need to be consolidated into one menu.

- After about 2-3 out of every 10 shutdowns, the phone will within a couple of minutes boot back up by itself.

SOLUTION to all the above issues: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-pro-roms/175390-new-cyanogenmod-7-gingerbread-kernel.html

Timar99

Reaction score
usb charging not working after update

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Post more issues here and the solution if you know it. I want to keep this to issues that everyone (or mostly everyone) is having.

- Phone switches to Global mode, thus dramatically reducing battery life, even if you manually set it to CDMA-only.

- Keyboard backlight randomly turns off, even while typing.

- Desktop panel quick-scroll feature has been removed.

- After a soft reset, the notification LED blinks green even though there are no notifications. It only blinks when the screen is locked, it stops when you wake the phone. This stops after you get a real notification.

- Texts are sometimes received in duplicate despite being sent once (try sending yourself a text).
Here is a couple I've seen reported:
-Extraordinary battery discharge...more so than with Froyo (prior to last update)...no fix at this time.
-Blue 3g and "bars" turning from blue to white and back to blue again...no explanation at this time, but has been reported to Motorola. Could indicate an intermitent loss of data over 3g...let's hope not, it shouldn't do that.
-Pressing the space bar twice will insert a word into your text while typing a text message. It should just insert a period only. No fix unless you use a 3rd party app like HandCent
-

mbd4524

Reaction score
For me the biggest issue is battery life. I used to make it through the day with froyo and my extended battery. Now, not even close.

OP
A

Astaroth

Reaction score
Are you both making sure that your device is in CDMA and not Global mode? My battery life is the same as before the update, provided the phone hasn't switched itself to Global.

Timar99

Reaction score
yeah mine stays on CDMA

doug1624

Reaction score
Battery life is ok, but I have seen some issues. In no particular order:

Phone lost signal yesterday (poor coverage area) 3G symbol went white, never went back to blue (when back in known good area). Had to soft reset phone.

Phone no longer wakes up from any keypress (like spacebar). Very annoying to constantly press power/volume.

Phone goes to sleep immediately after watching flash video in web browser. Never did this before.

Can't tell read/unread email in standard gmail app. The color difference is too subtle.

Had the double-spacebar auto word insert problem. Fixed by going to settings -> language and keyboard -> multi-touch keyboard -> un-check 'next word prediction' at the bottom.

I haven't rooted phone, but maybe it's time to...

Skates12

Reaction score
Had the double-spacebar auto word insert problem. Fixed by going to settings -> language and keyboard -> multi-touch keyboard -> un-check 'next word prediction' at the bottom.

That fixed my auto-insert bug. Thanks!

SDGuy

Reaction score
My issues in order of severity

Battery drain: I can literally watch the battery meter drop. I'm getting 4-5 hours max when I was getting an easy 10 hours before the download. Something is draining the battery (and yes, I made sure I'm on CDMA).

Text messages - I used to have a "View Report" menu item which showed the time when another Verizon customer actually received my text. This was great for knowing that my kids actually got my text. This is missing from the menu for new messages sent! Old messages still have this menu item but report "unsuccessful" even for old messages I know were reported as Successful previously. Now, the only menu item for texts being sent is "View message details" with a generic "Cause code: OK or Msg Dlvd, 32768" which appears immediately and irrespective of the message actually being delivered.

WAV files sent from my voice mail server no longer play and are reported as incompatible with the Media Player. I had to download a thrid party app to get them to play. They must have left out the proper codec for these types of WAV files

Please call Verizon and ask for Level 2 support to mention these and the other items. When I called, they were very sympathetic and acknowledged the problem, but said they had no idea when Motorola would send corrections. I think we need to apply some pressure here.

badcat

Reaction score
I reset my phone last night and now it's even worse than it was prior to the reset! Keyboard backlight issue, all kinds of bloatware syncing, poor battery life, Bluetooth problems, voice quality issues. This update is a POS. Took a good, solid phone with decent battery life and trashed it all to hell. I'd go back to Froyo in a heartbeat.

Skates12

Reaction score
***MAJOR UPDATE***

When I enabled b/g data this morning to allow the Pro to sync, 3G turned blue as usual, but the up/down arrows didn't light solidly as before when it always indicated the data churn had started up again.

I decided to leave it enabled. For some reason, the churn has stopped. Even though I did a soft reset - and later a battery-pull reset - the churn has not returned. The com.Motorola.service.main is also no longer locked.

I've been off the charger for 7 hours and still have 20% charge left. Device temperature has stayed between 80 - 95 degrees all day.

Here's the kicker; I didn't DO anything. The problem stopped on its own!

I wonder if Vz or Moto were doing anything on the back-end after I opened my trouble-ticket? No idea, but even if I get 8 hours out of my battery, I can live with it.

Now, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the problem doesn't come back!

(Sorry for posting in two places, but I wanted to make sure everyone with the battery-drain issue sees this)

jillybeanbrooks

Reaction score
My issue is a little silly, but kind of serious. I only kept my most used contacts available for use and the rest of my contacts hidden. The ones that I un-hid manually, from time to time, and re-hid after I had text/called them as needed, are missing after the update. There are about 5 contacts that were sync'd through facebook, the others I had added into my phone manually. I have gone in and unhidden all of my contacts and those 10, or so, contacts are nowhere to be found, even the ones that were originally sync'd through facebook.

The strange thing about this is, if I receive a text from that person, their picture/name/#/anything I had stored in my phone, appears like they are a contact in my phone, but I cannot find them.

I called Motorola about this issue and its new to them. They couldnt find anything to help me, but said they'd email something to me (which I never received). I didnt even realize that the backup assistant, backed up my contacts, so I know I could go get the #'s from there, but that just seems like too much trouble.

There used to be an option to hide contacts by holding down that persons name until the menu appeared, and that option is gone. I personally like to keep about 15 peoples' names visible (because thats all I use on a normal basis). I can manage with all of this, but its just a major annoyance.

jillybeanbrooks

Reaction score
I couldnt edit my post, but what i was trying to say was, i have like 200 facebook (and other accounts) contacts, sync'd, but about 5 of my missing contacts, that I had unhidden, used, and then rehidden, are missing, as well as about 5 contacts that were manual adds.

stupidchicken03

Reaction score
My battery life hasnt been bad.

My biggest gripe is that theres no free wifi tether yet! Im rooted and Barnacle, Open Garen, or Wifi Tether dont work.
There some already installed wifi manager that takes over the connection for VZ... Any work around for this yet? I havnt been able to find one.