Rooting & removing "bloatware"

maglock23

Reaction score
Just picked up my Droid X. Do not like that I can not remove Apps I do not want to use (skype, BB, to name 2). How do I go about rooting the phone via my laptop and then removing/renaming the unwanted apps? Also by rooting the phone will this enable me to use the phone as a wireless modem to connect to the internet without paying extra for a service I already have?

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Yes, you won't have to pay for the "wireless tether". Check the stickies for info on how to root/remove bloat.

Sent using my Xmas present (Droid X)

B

budmonster

You can d/l the tbh hack for the 3G mobile app or use wireless tether for root users from the market

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Don't download it from the market, just google search it for newest version.

Sent using my Xmas present (Droid X)

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Don't remove the Bloatware

Do not remove the bloatware entirely or else your phone will not be able to receive the next update. Just root the phone back it up (titanium back up PRO) Pro cost's 5.99 but it is worth every penny. Go into pro and "freeze" them they will still show up in your drawer but can not be opened and will not run in the backround.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my Droid X. Do not like that I can not remove Apps I do not want to use (skype, BB, to name 2). How do I go about rooting the phone via my laptop and then removing/renaming the unwanted apps? Also by rooting the phone will this enable me to use the phone as a wireless modem to connect to the internet without paying extra for a service I already have?

Welcome!

I originally posted a free wifi tether video, not sure if I can do that. So just type into Google "wifi tethering droid x" and there is plenty there.

Anything and everything about removing bloatware>>> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62427-how-remove-bloatware.html

And I wouldn't delete or uninstall the bloatware. I would freeze it with the app Titanium Backup like above suggests.

Or you can rename the apps with the app Root Explorer. All explained somewhere in the link above.