Rooting OTA ICS

cts17

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been browsing the forums for some time now. Just got ICS a couple of days ago on a stock rezound, and have been considering a root since I've gotten the phone. My question is, would rooting the ota ics been the same process? Any new risks that could pop up? Thanks in advance for any help I get, just trying to be safe versus sorry.

HowardZ

Reaction score
no, rooting is different.

1. do the htcdev.com unlock procedure.

2. Either install/flash Ramon ra recovery or at least boot up Ramon ra recovery.

3. do not root via the recovery menu - it will not work on HTC ics. Using Ramon ra recovery, or touch recovery, or clockworkmod recovery install the latest version of SuperSU zip file.

I had difficulty using the latest version of SuperUser zip file, so I use SuperSU zip file.

on xda forums hansoon has made some tools to make the process easier.

Howard

corki2

Reaction score
I used Hasoon2000's Toolkit to unlock, root, install Amon Ra. It was easy.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Moved to Development forum where it belongs. Try to remember guys that rooting/roming talk goes there. General discussion should be for general topics about the phone. Not everyone roots. (even if they should) :biggrin:

OP
C

cts17

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. And sorry about the wrong forum, figured since it was a mixture of a root topic and ics topic general might be ok. So I'm guessing a factory reset is still required? If so, are there any good back ups to keep my pics, contacts, app data and such after everything is said and done?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Pics aren't effected, contacts aren't(if you use google or another online service for contacts), app data is always the problem. Titanium backup will backup your app data but only if you're rooted. Otherwise you're kinda out of luck. Google definitely needs to add in something that works like Titanium but for non-rooted phones.

Pokerdonkey

Reaction score
Being the noob that I am I have to admit that I used an outdated guide to attempt to root the OTC ICS and getting all sorts of errors.

I went back into amon ra and did a restore Google Proprietary files and then used the zip file included in hansoons tool but still having android crashes, dropped internet service etc.
Other than what I've done is there something that I should do in amon ra to undo the improper root and start clean? Appreciate any help.

Aximtreo

Reaction score
OK, I have downloaded the latest Hanson Tool Kit for the Rezound. Having read so much and gotten more confused the more I read; do I need anything other than the Hanson tool Kit to root my Rezound. It has the new ICS OTA.

corki2

Reaction score

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you need a step by step try starting with the guide in my sig. If you need help PM me. I'll do my best to get you up and running again