Rooting on mac?

Sharkey

Reaction score
Can you root on a MAC? is there any updated guide on how to root from a bonestock on a mac for a total noob. Can you run 2.2? Does anyone have any links.. I have tried to use the search bar but everything is so confusing!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can root from a mac but it is a royal pain. You have to set up either a virtual machine or boot camp partition to run windows. Then you can follow the steps in a number of rooting threads. The tutorials are super easy to follow and should help you greatly. Do you happen to have windows set up on your mac or do you know how to do so?

OP
S

Sharkey

Reaction score
You can root from a mac but it is a royal pain. You have to set up either a virtual machine or boot camp partition to run windows. Then you can follow the steps in a number of rooting threads. The tutorials are super easy to follow and should help you greatly. Do you happen to have windows set up on your mac or do you know how to do so?

I do not have windows set up on my mac how do i go about doing that?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you root on a MAC? is there any updated guide on how to root from a bonestock on a mac for a total noob. Can you run 2.2? Does anyone have any links.. I have tried to use the search bar but everything is so confusing!

I assume you're running stock 2.1. The only way to do it on a Mac is to run boot camp and a copy of a Windows OS. It won't work with a virtual machine.

You need to install SPRecovery using RSD Lite and that requires windows. Once you have SPRecovery on your phone you can go back to your mac and install 2.2 Froyo. Installation of 2.2 Froyo comes with root so your Droid would be rooted at that time.

There may be a way to do it with ROM Manager, but I don't know how to use it. You'd still have to get your mac rooted and then use Clockwork.

I used a PC to get to SPRecovery and RSD LITE on my Droid, then I used my Mac to install 2.2 version 2.

Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Complete with video on how to install SPRecovery with RSD Lite

Installation of 2.2 can be done with your Mac, I did it with mine that's simple.

I don't think there is a guide that will give you Mac instructions.

cpjr

Reaction score
You can root using a Mac if your running 2.0.1, as you can install the Mac version of the Android SDK and adb.

If you 2.1 then you would need run it in boot camp or parallels like OneTenderRebel stated. Its not hard to set that up though, if you have a copy of Win to install.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well there are a few ways to do it, if you have a copy of windows xp sp2 or above handy you can set up a boot camp partition through your mac. If you do not have that you can download vmware fusion and do all the trial stuff to set up windows through a virtual machine. The only issue with that is you have it free for 30 days and after that 30 days are up if something happens to your droid and you need to run RSDlite for some reason you are stuck having to either buy the software which is not cheap and or use a friends windows computer. I rooted my phone through the vmware trials and have had no problems since then thankfully (knock on wood). So it can be done but just know that the trial does end and you may end up having to wait to find someone nice enough to let you use their PC to flash an sbf file again.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can root using a Mac if your running 2.0.1, as you can install the Mac version of the Android SDK and adb.

If you 2.1 then you would need run it in boot camp or parallels like OneTenderRebel stated. Its not hard to set that up though, if you have a copy of Win to install.

Yep exactly but at this point I would think very few unrooted droids are running 2.0.1.

cpjr

Reaction score
Yep exactly but at this point I would think very few unrooted droids are running 2.0.1.

I agree, but hey.....ya never know.

I already had boot camp and Winderz setup on my Macbook so it was easy-peasy for me :)

OP
S

Sharkey

Reaction score
Well there are a few ways to do it, if you have a copy of windows xp sp2 or above handy you can set up a boot camp partition through your mac. If you do not have that you can download vmware fusion and do all the trial stuff to set up windows through a virtual machine. The only issue with that is you have it free for 30 days and after that 30 days are up if something happens to your droid and you need to run RSDlite for some reason you are stuck having to either buy the software which is not cheap and or use a friends windows computer. I rooted my phone through the vmware trials and have had no problems since then thankfully (knock on wood). So it can be done but just know that the trial does end and you may end up having to wait to find someone nice enough to let you use their PC to flash an sbf file again.

Thank you, Im pretty sure I have an old disc laying around somewhere... sound's like a lot of work though but do you guys think it is worth it to root?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

I assume you're running stock 2.1. The only way to do it on a Mac is to run boot camp and a copy of a Windows OS. It won't work with a virtual machine.

You need to install SPRecovery using RSD Lite and that requires windows. Once you have SPRecovery on your phone you can go back to your mac and install 2.2 Froyo. Installation of 2.2 Froyo comes with root so your Droid would be rooted at that time.

There may be a way to do it with ROM Manager, but I don't know how to use it. You'd still have to get your mac rooted and then use Clockwork.

I used a PC to get to SPRecovery and RSD LITE on my Droid, then I used my Mac to install 2.2 version 2.

Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Installation of 2.2 can be done with your Mac, I did it with mine that's simple.

I rooted my droid through a virtual machine and surprisingly it worked on the first try. I have heard of people have problems, maybe I just got lucky???

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Thank you, Im pretty sure I have an old disc laying around somewhere... sound's like a lot of work though but do you guys think it is worth it to root?

It's all a personal opinion thing but I rooted mine and have no thoughts of going back to stock. I will say this don't root your phone until you know for certain you want to and are 100% confident in following all the steps. Read the tutorials first.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

I agree, but hey.....ya never know.

I already had boot camp and Winderz setup on my Macbook so it was easy-peasy for me :)

I wish I had a copy of windows when I did it. It was a terrible process downloading all the necessary files to run the trial windows through VMware.

cpjr

Reaction score
Yeah I had an official copy of WinXP so it wasnt anything to get it going.

However, I have a Winbox at work and find myself doing alot of "windows required stuff" on it when necessary.

FDFTW!!

Reaction score

Not 100% true. I have vmWare Fusion and rooted mine just fine.