Rooting For Thunderbolt!

Paulb787

Reaction score

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
The only reason why I will not root that way is because it requires me to go to an older firmware. I will wait a bit till the current firmware is rooted.

sundercs

Reaction score
I agree with jkhonea. This is rather complex. I rooted my D1 way back when it was simple. With as much dev support the tb is getting, it wont be long before an easier method is devised.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

BigMace23

Reaction score
Haha yea even though I could do it, its too much of a hassle and in a couple of days I'm sure we'll have a nice one step root :) It's tempting though cause I want this bloatware off!

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Haha yea even though I could do it, its too much of a hassle and in a couple of days I'm sure we'll have a nice one step root :) It's tempting though cause I want this bloatware off!

Amen and Amen. I can't stand bloatware but I want to remain as stock as possible. lol. I can already hear my past-rom flashing days screaming at me "How much can you overclock the Thunderbolt?" I want to enjoy this phone, not hack it to death flashing a new rom every few days.

JacobXDM40

Reaction score
I will root in time. i am going to wait on rooting the TB just for the sake of not ever rooting HTC before. although it was a lot of fun wit the D1. i have read through the steps to root the TB and from the get go it was like i was reading another language. but i have faith in them making it easier to root. but for now D1 gingerbread

Canefan

Reaction score
The other reason to wait is that there may be an OTA update in the near future and rooting might jeapordize receiving that.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
The other reason to wait is that there may be an OTA update in the near future and rooting might jeapordize receiving that.

Or receiving it might jeopardize rooting...root exploits are often patched with ota updates, hence numerous devs instructing root users not to accept the update until it has itself been rooted.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Once the phone has been rooted and has any kind of developer backing (if it had no developer backing, chances are it would never get rooted to begin with) the developers will be all over any OTO updates. In my experience, (coming from a Droid 1 I got on opening day and had rooted within a couple months as soon as I discovered what the benefits were) the devs typically have the updates, have rooted them, and release them long before the unrooted masses receive them OTA. I had 2.1 and 2.2 long, long, before my wife or coworkers received it OTA.

I would never wait for an OTA update to root a phone. :icon_eek:

funkyb

Reaction score
The only reason why I will not root that way is because it requires me to go to an older firmware. I will wait a bit till the current firmware is rooted.

Actually I think they already fixed that. I think you only have to use the old one to get Su, then you flash a second version that is current.