Rooting D2…I No Longer Will Support It

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When they got you beat, they have you beat. Apparently locking down the boot loader will keep the D2 from ever truly being rooted like the D1 could be.

I have rooted my D2 a few times now and this last time will be the last. I love having all the apps and flexibility rooting gives you, but I don't like it if it takes away basic functions. And that's my latest experience.

For some reason I stopped getting the light flashing notification on my D2. Now I can put up with some things but this is something I want working all the time. I tried a reboot, and much to my surprise it rebooted into clockwork. That's not suppose to happen. I had to reboot from clockwork to get it to start up.

I didn't like this. It would seem to me that the easy solution since I don't run a custom ROM would be to remove the boot straps. But when I did that and tried to reboot I still went into clockwork! Then I had to pull the battery and restart after a full 30 second battery pull to get it to boot up normally.

So since I had not removed any of the bloatware the last time I did it I decided to just remove the root. I used z4Root and it did remove the root and Super User was gone. I rebooted and still went into clockwork.

At this point I had two options: Factory Data Reset or SBF. I went with SBF, and that fixed it.

I got an email come in and the notification light was blinking. So something, I don't know what, in the rooting eventually caused my notification light to no longer work.

Now I'm at stock, bloated, no longer overclocked. I've deleted (sadly) all my rooted applications. And I'm staying that way. It just seems to me that the benefits are just not worth it. At least not with what we have to work with now.

There seems to be an issue with clockwork and the bootstrap so I'm basically saying be aware of it. If you have an issue then use the SBF from Team Black Hat here: TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

That should fix any issues you have in regards to problems from rooting.

Not everyone will experience this probably, I'm just sharing my observations and personal thoughts. YMMV, and probably will.

-hook

microsnook

Reaction score
Thats a bummer...

Mine seems to be working just fine :)

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
YMMV?
I know here it's the DMV :icon_eek:

Bummer about the phone. I too hate those certain things that you "have to have" when they don't work. Those some things I found on the X that were never on the D1 (like the unerversal inbox) and don't want to lose it with a custom ROM. Don't know that I will but the stock ROM is running smooth and quick so for now I'm good.

When I do finally go with something, hopefully I won't have to use the SBF.

pool_shark

Reaction score
It doesn't appear to me that rooting the D2 was the issue, it was the customizations you did after rooting which caused your problems. I have rooted my D2 twice with no other customizations and mine functions as normal.

D

dankarlinski

for the bootstrap/clockwork issue, i think its an issue with bootstrap. once you bootstrap, it installs a file (dont remember the name offhand) in the system folder (system/bin i believe) this file hijacks the bootprocess and sends it to clockwork... that file should be removed on successful reboot into system. for whatever reason, it doesnt always happen, causing problems...

ive noticed that shortly after i boot back up, bootstrap gets superuser permissions... maybe it deletes the file?

either way, i am fairly confident sith saying that your bootstrap/clockwork issue is directly related to bootstrapper and system config, not clockwork

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It doesn't appear to me that rooting the D2 was the issue, it was the customizations you did after rooting which caused your problems. I have rooted my D2 twice with no other customizations and mine functions as normal.

If someone else posted this that is exactly what I would have thought. Really other then overclocking and running apps occasionally like Root Explorer, Quick App Cleaner, Titanium Backup, and Screenshot It I didn't have any customization going on. I had all the bloatware and blur as is, not even hidden.

I didn't run a custom ROM. So really I didn't have too many things different from stock.

I have no idea why the notification light stopped. That was the initial thing that got me looking at this, and removing the root fixed it. That much is fact.

The other thing I know is that there appears to be a problem with bootstraps. It's not just here on the D2 I see it, I also see it on the X. I'm hopeful that Kroush will look into it a bit more and maybe come up with solution. Why when I did a standard startup did I boot into bootstrap recovery? And even after I removed the bootstraps I somehow ended up there.

On the lighter side of all this….Did you know that the D1 notification light blinks about 1 and a half times faster then the D2? Just something else I kind of noticed today.:)

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
for the bootstrap/clockwork issue, i think its an issue with bootstrap. once you bootstrap, it installs a file (dont remember the name offhand) in the system folder (system/bin i believe) this file hijacks the bootprocess and sends it to clockwork... that file should be removed on successful reboot into system. for whatever reason, it doesnt always happen, causing problems...

ive noticed that shortly after i boot back up, bootstrap gets superuser permissions... maybe it deletes the file?

either way, i am fairly confident sith saying that your bootstrap/clockwork issue is directly related to bootstrapper and system config, not clockwork

Well you can't get clockwork unless you have the bootstraps. Rooting by itself doesn't give you clockwork.

You know there was a time when I was running rooted without the bootstraps. I only loaded them because I needed them to upgrade to 3.0.0. You can't do it without them. I had issues with that upgrade which is one of the reasons I had to SBF. Doing a simple restore didn't work, I was getting a ton of FC's.

lizard

Reaction score
I used DoRootWin2.1.4 to root an sbf'd 2.20.2 and an ota updated d2. I used something else to root the same phone as stock original with something else. I've read of several different methods. In your opinion Hookbill, is that material. I don't know much of the details of rooting like whether or not utilizing different exploits may or may not be related to" side effects" like the one your having. Respectfully submitted.

Sent from my Squidlied Droid2 using Droid Forums app.....

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used DoRootWin2.1.4 to root an sbf'd 2.20.2 and an ota updated d2. I used something else to root the same phone as stock original with something else. I've read of several different methods. In your opinion Hookbill, is that material. I don't know much of the details of rooting like whether or not utilizing different exploits may or may not be related to" side effects" like the one your having. Respectfully submitted.

How you actually root I don't think makes a difference. It's what you do from that point on.

I can point right to what I believe is the problem and that's the bootstrap. And to the best of my knowledge that's the only way to either load a custom ROM or any update that's out there.

I could root again and not load the boot straps and probably be fine. I'm just not inclined to do it now as I don't feel overclocking really makes that much difference for the use on my Droid which has dramatically decreased. I would however like to be able to utilize some of the apps I had was rooted.

Now if your method of rooting allows you to access custom ROMs and leaked updates, then it's probably better then what most of us are using. So if you're not experiencing any issues then do a write up on it and lets see what you've got, or point to a link maybe.

Just to let everyone know, it's a new day today and I'm not feeling so "anti rooting" as I was yesterday. I'm still not going to root my D2 at least not today but I might consider it again. Only I won't use bootstraps.

lizard

Reaction score
I'm load my roms and updates like everybody else, i'm just lucky I guess. I've found a few posts where people on DF were having issues with their light. I've heard one poster who said they lost a charge light too. Im not running blur so I expect fewer problems anyway. But, my phone is perfect right now, at least as far as I can tell. (Fingers crossing).

Micah

Reaction score
I agree totally, i recently did the same, LED flashing light was NOT working and it worked great for a little while and then out of no where it quit, and un rooting worked perfectly so until i can get my D2 like the D1, no more root, ill stick with Launcher Pro and crap like that.

Reaction score
I can't give up SetCPU, AutoKiller, or TiBackup. So far rooting hasn't caused me any issues that I haven't created for myself (freezing the wrong thing, etc).